They Want Me To Rent And Work, How?

Business By gr8yf Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm by gr8yf

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #1 of 8

I am talking with a coming new resturant who said they are interested in me working at there place, making what goodies they need and renting me the space to work. We havn't gotten to $ yet, but I am confused how this can work am I an employee or a renter I have the feeling they want both. Please give me feed back anyone who understands the scenario.

7 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 8

You'll need to sit down with them and get VERY specific. Find out what they want from you per week.. exactly how many cakes/whatever they want from you and how much they will pay you. Figure out if that will leave you enough time to persue your own business. If not.. I'd pass. It sounds like you'd be both an employee and then rent their kitchen after hours for your own needs.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:22am
post #3 of 8

Sounds like they are wanting you as an employee. I would definetly talk with them and make sure they understand that you want to rent space because you are trying to start your own business and would be glad to maybe make goodies in exchange for some of the rent. I would not work for them as an employee, kinda defeats what you really want to do and I think it would take the fun out of what you are wanting to do.

gr8yf Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 8

After I posted this either the site or my computer died, thanks so much for the feed back. We meet soon and I will let you all know the $ and details.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 8

maybe they are wanting to allow you to rent free as long as you make all of their goodies??

gr8yf Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 8

That is possible, as long as there is a fair exchange. If there is no time to do my buisness then I am working for free. It's all in the details, which is why I need to aproach this carefully. If any of you are in a simular situation tell me your experiance.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 8

Can I be nosey? I've got 2 kitchens that I'm thinking of contacting about renting space.

Can you share with me how you approached them? I'm not exactly sure what I should say? I thought about maybe taking a sample cake or something with me to give them but am clueless on how or what to say to these companies.

thanks for any tips...and good luck!!!

gr8yf Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 8

They approached me, we have a mutual friend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%