How Many Cake Mixes Do I Need?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 6:10pm by SweetStuff30

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 8

ive been asked to do a chocolate wedding cake for the first time so im planning to use bettey crockers chocolate devil cake mix. i'l be using a round 12'', 10, 8inch cake pan. how many cake mixes do i need to make all these 2 layered cakes?i mean how many boxes do i need to buy?
also can i add chocolate chips to the cake mix when baking? hope someone can help out? thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 8

This is what I use w/o enchancing or anything like that and I've never had a problem. Can't help on the chocolate chip thing.

8" = 1 box
10" = 2 boxes
12" = 3 boxes
Total = 6 boxes

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 8

how many ppl does this serve?

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 8

I have used the Mini (tiny) Semi sweet chocolate chips in my batter many times. If you toss them in a little dry cake mix before adding them to the batter they tend to stay suspended in the cake... When I forget to do this they tend to all sink to the bottom of the cake pan during the cooking process. As far as amount, I ususally do a half bag for every 2 boxes of cake mix icon_smile.gif Hope that helps.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, to chocolate chip. Be sure to toss them w/ dry cake mix or flour prior to adding to mixed batter or else they'll sink like aimers said.

I actually use:
8" 1 box
10" 3 boxes
12" 3-4 boxes

I like high stacked cakes.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 8

I use Betty Crocker (I think) Triple Chocolate Fudge, its the same price and already has mini chocolate chips inside.

I would say 6 mixes, but I also add a box of pudding and an extra egg to my mixes, and I tend to overfill my pans a but so that I can level off using the edge of the pans. I estimate this to be 68 servings of "party" size 1.5x2x4 inch servings.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 8

tippyad, I can see that, and good tip on the chocolate chips. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Aleesha, according to Earlene's servings chart (which I use), these three cakes would serve the following:
8=15
10=30
12=45
Total=90

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 8

oh ok good, thanks.. i have to do a wedding cake for 80 ppl.. and i wasnt sure where to start! (its for my friend!) Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%