Oreo Cookie Filling In A Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By klacrawford Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 4:32am by mgigglin

klacrawford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klacrawford Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 10

How can I keep it fresh, it wont be ate until tommorrow evening? I know that you shouldnt place fondant covered cakes in the fridge, so will the filling stay fresh if I leave it out in a box?

9 replies
klacrawford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klacrawford Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 10

bump

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 10

What else is in the filling besides the Oreo cookies? If it's whipped cream-based, then it needs to go in the fridge. If it's certain kinds of buttercream with oreos mixed in, then it doesn't require refrigeration.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 10

There is an Oreo Filling in the recipe section that does not call for cream, but uses marshmallow fluff and shortening instead. I used it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was okay. If I could refrigerate, I'd still use a traditional filling with cream, but since I couldn't, this was a pretty good substitute.

Anyone else have a different suggestion?

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 10

When I made this, i combined the cookie crumbs w/buttercream dream icing which i don't refrigerate anyway unless absolutely necessary. I guess it depends on if you are using whipped cream - in which case, I would say it would be ok to leave out b/c whipped cream is usually non dairy isn't it? Hopefully someone else may have a better idea. Best of luck with this.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 10

Some fondant holds up well in the fridge. What kind to you use? I have had no problem with refrigerating cakes with Satin Ice. Before I tried it, I had contacted Satin Fine Foods to ask if it could be refrigerated and the answer was yes.

What recipe do you use for your cookies and cream filling? That will also depend on whether or not it will hold up. If it's basically heavy cream and chopped cookies it will need to be refrigerated. However, a base recipe that doesn't require refrigeration, with chopped cookies added, will hold up well.

HTH
Penny

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 10

First, what exactly are your filling ingredients?

I've made an oreo filling contributed by alittlesliceofhaven and had no problems letting the cake sit out over night.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:42am
post #8 of 10

FondX fondant can be refrigerated also!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #9 of 10

Well, if you are using whipped cream, made from whipping cream, it would need to be refrigerated. It wouldn't hold up for a really long time out of the refigerator anyway. If you can mix the crushed cookies with a BC, you can keep it out.

However, you can refrigerate some fondant, like FondX and some people have mentioned using Satin Ice and refrigerating. The trick is to let it come back to room temp before you touch it.

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:32am
post #10 of 10

the BC I use doesnt need to be refrigderated so I just add crushed oreos to it, and it is wonderful!

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%