Question About Fondant Details On Whipped Cream Frosting

Decorating By FaerieD Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 1:53pm by FaerieD

FaerieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaerieD Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:15am
post #1 of 3

I want to make a cake for my daughter's birthday. This is only the second cake I've ever made so far and don't want to screw it up. First one I made was for Easter with fondant icing and the whole family loved it so much that now I'm attempting another.... I wanted to make this one with whipped cream frosting and wondered whether fondant details can be attached to the sides of the cake without the details sinking down to the bottom of the cake. Or are fondant details strictly for fondant and buttercream covered cakes? Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:27am
post #2 of 3

Generally, fondant is only used on b/c or fondant covered cakes as it melts on frostings that have a high moisture content.

HTH

FaerieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaerieD Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the reply JanH. I had a feeling that was the case. Looks like I'm gonna have to try a buttercream frosting instead then. I want one that is somewhat similar to whipped cream, not too sweet, light, but also crusts so I can attach fondant flowers on the sides of the cake. Any suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%