Need Help To Improve Fondant "monster Webbed Feet"

Decorating By Bossy Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 6:44am by Texas_Rose

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 5

My first attempt to make feet and hands for my fondant/gumpaste mix characters! The Exacto knife sticks and pulls the paste as I cut the toes and fingers. Then the cuts stick together making it hard to form them individually. They seem to have swelled ankles and wrists or something? Any tips?
LL

4 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 5

Goodness me, I don't have any tips because I think they look just great. Maybe a liiiiiiiiiiiiiitle swelling on one of the ankles but I wouldn't have thought that at ALL if you hadn't fed me the idea icon_wink.gif, I really think they look great the way they are...plus you said they're for a monster anyway? Love the way you even got knuckles and indentations for finger/toenails.

As for the exacto knife sticking, did you grease it w/crisco?? Just a thought, I have no idea if that would help lol.

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:14am
post #3 of 5

I looked at your cakes and your fondant charaters are so good! You have the porportions done well. I have the most difficulty keeping the porportions for the parts correct so they look right!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:12am
post #4 of 5

LOL I also realize now that I misunderstood your title, when you said "monster webbed feet" I thought you meant they were for some sort of monster character; now I realize that you just meant you thought they were monstrous!! ROTFL, DUHHH!! icon_redface.gif

Anyway I stand by my original assessment, I think they look fine. If you think they look "webbed" because the knife didn't cut all the way thru/or the digits stick back together after being cut, I really disagree, I think they just look "characterized" which is how they are supposed to look! If you don't like the look you can prob. use your x-knife to nudge them apart a little more and then...maybe dust w/cornstarch so they stay separate while they dry? Seriously, though, I think that's nit-picky, they look good!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:44am
post #5 of 5

I think they're great. You've got perfect details, a great skin tone...I'd be delighted to have created those feet and hands icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe dipping the exacto knife in a little cornstarch would help it keep from sticking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%