Cake Competitors - Opinion Needed!

Decorating By MrsAB Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 3:52am by diamondjacks

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 6

Hello CCr's!

I'm seriously thinking about entering into my first competition (Mid-Atlantic). In fact I have sent in my entry form. However, I'm a little at odds as to what to submit for the tiered category. What are your thoughts on entering a cake inspired by other cake artists such as Mich Turner, Elise Strauss or even cakes featured here on CC for example? Should it be made to scale or if smaller would that matter? I was thinking of doing faux cakes perhaps in sizes 5" & 8" squares. Should they be bigger? Please let me know your thoughts. This is all so nerve wrecking. By the time the competition gets here I will be without hair! icon_lol.gif

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 replies
MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 6

Anybody?

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 6

Im not too seasoned with competitions. But have not long ago entered my first one. My bes advice is to read your Schedule/rules over and over, check max sizes, how many tiers, what can and can't be used, whether dummy cakes or real cakes are to used etc

Looking at the prize winners I would be inclined to be original with design. It is also a great chance to make those cakes you've always dreamed of...a bit different....the ones most customers are never going to ordericon_rolleyes.gif

With sizes on our schedule/rules etc it stated maximum size for each section, anything over this size was classed as NAS (Not according to Schedule) in other words disqualified icon_sad.gif

Good luck and don't stress.....have fun..thats what it's about icon_biggrin.gif
HTH

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by torki

I would be inclined to be original with design.

torki is right.. And most competitions will state in the rules that the design must be your own. Good judges can spot a copy a mile away. Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 6

MrsAB, I'm also planning on entering a cake in the Mid-Atlantic show if i can get it done on time! I am a very slow decorator! It seems like everytime I work on the cake I take 1 step forward and 2 steps back!

I didn't see anything in the rules specific to size requirements. Last year was my first time to enter a show. To my surprise I got 2nd place in my division! Part of the judging is originality, so if you can come up with your own, unique design that is best.

Good Luck! BTW - I'm also in MD.

Jean

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 3:52am
post #6 of 6

Hi gals, i wish all of you best of luck this weekend! i was going to drive up from SC to compete... BUT things changed... My question is HOW in the world do you go about finding competitions??? the only reason I found out about this one is from cake central random post... I have looked on her but I can't find anything else to guide me direct me in the right direction... is it through ices?? what is the deal I would love to get my toes wet!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%