Preventing Black Frosting From Smearing.

Decorating By rosapastel Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 6:30pm by pjaycakes

rosapastel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosapastel Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a spiderman cake and covering it with Pastry Pride whipped topping/frosting. I will need to pipe the black spider web patterns on the entire body over the red frosting and was concerned about the black smearing onto the red frosting. What is the best way to prevent this. Can I create a chocolate frosting with chocolate chips and cream and color it black? Please Advise.

9 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 10

I always start my black icing with chocolate, unless they definitely can't have chocolate (allergies). I have never had the black run or bleed this way.

pjaycakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 10

I always start my black icing with chocolate, unless they definitely can't have chocolate (allergies). I have never had the black run or bleed this way. You could also color piping gel black, but this is sort of thin and you may have a harder time making the spider web. Try some on the counter first to see how well you can control it before trying on the cake. The piping gel gives it a nice shine also.

rosapastel Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks Patty,
Do you have a recipe for the chocolate frosting you recommend?

pjaycakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, but it is at home. When I get home today I will post it.

pjaycakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:27am
post #6 of 10

Chocolate Icing - Tastes like a chocolate bar

3 cups Powdered Sugar
1 cup Butter â 2 sticks
1 cup Shortening
1 cup Cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup whipping cream

Mix the room temperature butter and shortening together in mixer on low speed. add cocoa and vanilla and mix until combined. Pour in powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add whipping cream (liquid, not whipped) and turn the mixer up to medium and mix until light and fluffy.

rosapastel Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks Patty,
Now I just add the black coloring paste to the frosting and let it sit for about 1/2 hour so it concentrates. How much paste do you recommend? I appreciate your tips.

Tere

pjaycakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 10

I would just use a toothpick (if your using the jar color - Wilton) and add small amounts at a time until it gets the right color black. I don't usually let mine sit when coloring, bit it won't hurt. Since you are only doing the spider web you shouldn't need too much icing or black coloring. Make sure you post pics wjen your finished. You can freeze the leftover icing also. It doubles as a great filling also.

rosapastel Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 10

Patty,
Thanks for all the advise, is there any way I can omit or reduce the amount of shortening in the recipe?

pjaycakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 10

Sure you can sub extra butter for the shortening; however the more butter you use the faster it will get soft when working with it. What I usually do is fill two piping bags and put on in the refrigerator right before I start and then when the other one gets warm from my hands. I switch them out. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%