Bridal Show Yesterday.....a Bit Peeved

Business By melodyscakes Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 9:09pm by melodyscakes

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 22

yesterday was our big bridal show....like 1000 brides.
I love the shows, but I am peeved about something and wanted to post it here to see if I am over re-acting.
okay, there is a cake designer in my area that is a snob. I mean really rude and won't even talk to you if you are a cake decorator. SHE IS VERY RUDE, did I mention that? and she always gives me the impression that she thinks she is so much better that me, and won't give me the time of day. so, yesterday at the show.....she stole my cake!!! I have a cake that I first brought to the show last Oct. and it looked like a wedding dress, and had white gumpaiste roses as the topper, and a monogram "S" made out of beads on the top tier, outlined in a bead border.
this is my favorite cake.....so I brought it to the show yesterday......and
SO DID SHE! of course, hers was BIGGER and the bouquet on the top was BIGGER, but it was my cake!
My friend went to her booth and said, "oh what a pretty cake, is it your design?" and the lady said it was!!
I know we "borrow" ideas from each other all the time.....but this cake lady is so rude, and expensive and has a min. order of at least 200 servings or won't even accept the order....but the main thing is that she is rude.
am I over-reacting?
my butt is on fire.....
can't wait to see what you all think.

thank you,

melody

21 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 22

Well...unfortunately you are always going to find people like that in every industry.I would be angry also that she stole/took your idea....I would have walked over to her and calmly said...."oh my Beautiful cake...If I remember correctly I made that very cake last year for the show.....did you?? and walk away....Every time something new is out we all want to try and replicate it..You see this all the time with clothes,toys,etc..take it as a compliment that she tried to copy your design and let it go....Life is too short to walk around miffed!!

Imitation is the best form of Flattery!!!

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 22

shake it off and continue doing your thing.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 22

I can't stand rude, snobby people so that part of me would have gone up to her and told her straight to her face that I don't appreciate her stealing my idea. I may even be tempted to call her up today or go to her shop and tell her this.

HOWEVER, I always strive to be the bigger person (totally believe in karma), so I would just let her continue to copy me - because nothing is ever as good as the original.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 22

I am a bit funny when it comes to situations like this. I tend to get kind of obnoxious. I would have said "Oh my gosh -so funny - that looks just like the cake I had here the last time. Great minds must think alike! I hope the cake works out for you because I got like 20 orders just based on that one design!" And then I would have walked away.It would have been great to show her a picture of the cake on your display table from the last show.

You can't help rude people - just know in your mind you are better - and appeal to those people who want small weddings. The way our economy is going I hope to see the trend in smaller wedding continue. And - if you do a great job on the smaller wedding cakes - there is of course the baby showers, birthday parites, celebrations, etc. in the future!

melodyscakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 22

I know.....it just sucks that she struts around so rude and won't even speak to me, then steals me idea....grrr

I'll let it go.
hubby said to feel honored that she thought so much of my work that she stole it....

thanks guys

melody

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 22

RUDE? OH YEH....... Like you said we all borrow ideas.....but to lay claim it was you own? RUDE - RUDE - RUDE! and very unprofessional.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 22

You don't want to be associated with people like that anyway so forget it. Not worth getting/staying miffed about. Chances are if she started speaking to you she'd have more opportunities to be rude. I'd wish her good luck serving the hoity toity, they deserve one another. I'd want nothing to do with them, even for the business/money.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 22

Desperate people do desperate things. Obviously business isn't as great as she would like you to believe, or she wouldn't have copied your cake. We all use others' cakes for inspriation. But who in the world copies another decorator's cake for a bridal show knowing that the original designer's cake will probably be in the show! icon_eek.gif That goes beyond fair competition and is very unprofessional. She's obviously a fool and threatened by your talent. icon_lol.gif I think you handled the situation appropriately. Had you confronted her, she probably would have convinced everyone that you stole the design from her. Kudos to you for being the bigger person and maintaining your professionalism!!!

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzaluna

shake it off and continue doing your thing.

I totally agree. It may frost your rear a bit, but what can you do? The cake you didn't have a copywrite.

These things happen.

So next display make yours bigger and better.

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 22

"Wow, I had no idea that you were such a fan of my work! Thank you!"

LOL

melodyscakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:49am
post #12 of 22

I have calmed down a bit.
and thinking that I may send her a card that says how honored I am that she used my design,

yep, I am a passive aggressive person haha

I should say that The Knot will be publishing my cake for the winter issue and my cake will represent the Midwest, for the Midwest section...so haha cake stealer.

you guys are great!

melody

melodyscakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:57am
post #13 of 22

I just added my web site address, if you want to check out the cake it is the white one with the gum paste flowers on the top and the ribbon....looks like a wedding dress.

melody

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:01am
post #14 of 22

Wow melody - that's really a great cake!!!

And I totally did not see that you were also in KC! I know what show you are talking about and even though I didn't go, I think I have an idea of who you are talking about.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:03am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

I should say that The Knot will be publishing my cake for the winter issue and my cake will represent the Midwest, for the Midwest section...so haha cake stealer.

That's awesome, congrats!!!!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:10am
post #16 of 22

Well your cake is beautiful. All your cakes are. However, my post is a little off-topic. I want your handmade mints! Those sound sooo good! You wouldn't happen to ship those, would you? icon_biggrin.gif

TheButterWench Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:

I have calmed down a bit.
and thinking that I may send her a card that says how honored I am that she used my design,

yep, I am a passive aggressive person haha

you guys are great!

melody

That's a great idea, and no I don't think it's passive aggressive at all. What would be passive aggressive is to have that photo blown up for the next time with a nice little tent card sitting in front of the cake with this :

"A MELODYSCAKE EXCLUSIVE"

hahahha

TheButterWench Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:

melody

So you see? it worked itself out, you got the kudos for the design! and by the way that cake is stunning!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:41pm
post #19 of 22

Your cake is really beautiful! The strawberries that are stuffed with cheesecake, then dipped in chocolate sounded wonderful.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:57pm
post #20 of 22

I really would've been tempted to walk over to her table and tell her JUST how flattered you are that a reputable cake decorator like HER would love one of YOUR designs enough to want to TRY to replicate it!!!!!!!!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #21 of 22

Oh Melody- your cake is beautiful! And I nearly fell off my chair when I read your post....I had to make sure you weren't speaking about the women from my town! icon_lol.gif Yes, there is one in every town. And what makes me wonder is this: this woman is not only rude to other decorators, she is just as rude to her CUSTOMERS! So how on earth does she stay in business! icon_confused.gif Grrrrr......

melodyscakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:09pm
post #22 of 22

I' ve gotten some of her customers as a matter of fact....they said she was very rude and there cake wasn't quit 200 servings so she wouldn't accept the order.
more orders for me I guess.

one in ever town....yikes. thats alot of rude in the world!
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%