Big Cake Delivery, Outside, Humid... It's Over!! :)

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 12:23pm by MessiET

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 20

You may or may not remember me asking for help about a particular cake pricing...

It was this weekend. I worked in conjunction with another decorator because we both had other cakes and could not take this one alone. I made the flowers on the x bands and horizontal bands, as well as the litle hydrangeas. She did the central tower, baked iced and piped, I baked iced and did the satellites.

The morning of the delivery (Saturday) she called me to say her other cake collapsed (not our collaborative piece) and that I needed to come get the big cake and take care of it because she had to recover a 400 serving 5 tier cake with fondant!

Needless to say, this was NOT the game plan. I brought her all of my extra fondant and then went off to deliver the big cake, I had stacking, attaching more flowers... It was thunderstorming all day, it was an outdoor wedding in an enormous tent with no fans. The buttercream on the cake contained heavy whipping cream, so the cake went from the fridge directly to insane humidity. It was sweating, the occassional dragee would sweat right off the cake... STRESS.

The setup went FINE. I took this picture before I left.

The cake finished with the fresh flowers are on this photog's website - she's mailing me a DVD, but I couldn't wait that long to tell you all the story!!

http://www.halfmoonphotography.net/index-slides.html?gallery=Weddings%2fCouples - it's the 9th photo over, but if you look, it's only giant cake...

Then my other wedding was outside too, on the river, under a tent, with 30 mph gusts and insanely humid.

Got a call from the wedding planner today saying the bride and groom LOVED the cake, thought it was perfect, the guests were all ogling it. So so so so so glad it is in the past. I have this upcoming weekend off for spiritual, emotional and phyiscal refreshment, and then will dive in to May! icon_smile.gif

19 replies
Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #2 of 20

GORGEOUS cake! The final pic with the flowers is simply beautiful. Congrats to both of you on a job well done. I hope the other caker was able to recover that 5 tier cake!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #3 of 20

Wow - sorry you had a hard time, but what a FABulous cake!! icon_smile.gif

gina_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina_ann Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:56am
post #4 of 20

Wow wow wow! That cake looks fantastic with those beautiful flowers! Good on ya!! icon_smile.gif

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #5 of 20

This is absolutely stunning...all of the work that went into that cakes shows...The photographer's photos are beautiful as well...I wish she lived around here for me to get my girls pictures done....WOW.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:10am
post #6 of 20

Oh my, what an absolutely gorgeous cake. It's spectacular!!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:17am
post #7 of 20

These cakes areo Awesome! Good job! party.gif

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #8 of 20

All I can think of is.....OUTSTANDING!!!

lisad1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisad1 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:43am
post #9 of 20

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif
You did a FABULOUS job!!! I think the final version of the cake with
the flowers was even prettier then the inspiration (and that was beautiful!)
You should be proud!! icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:54am
post #10 of 20

Absolutely Fantastic cake. The pic looks amazing! The whole cake/flowers are beautiful. icon_biggrin.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:14am
post #11 of 20

Gee, I thought the cake was lovely but then I saw it finished with flowers!!! That has to be one of nicest and prettiest wedding cakes I've seen.

Beautiful! Just beautiful!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:18pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:21pm
post #13 of 20

Fantastic job!!! The ake is beautiful with all those flowers!!! Cudos to you!!!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #14 of 20

What a BEAUTIFUL cake. You guys did a great job.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:32pm
post #15 of 20

WOW! What a wonderful job you guys did ! thumbs_up.gif I can't even IMAGINE taking on something like that !!

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:35pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks for posting the picture. And the one the photographer took is stunning! I remember looking at your original post and thinking OMG that is one huge cake! Job well done!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #17 of 20

I'm glad you posted the update. I remember reading the first post, and thinking- better her than me!!!

That being said, I like yours better than the original. You did a great job!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:39am
post #18 of 20

Oh, you both did a wonderful job! It's one of THE most beautiful cakes I've ever seen. How many cakes were making up the huge base? I hope you'll be able to post the finished cake here. Again, it looks wonderful!! Good for you!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:30am
post #19 of 20

i can't view the other pic. icon_sad.gif but the one you posted here is very good. congrats on a job well done.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:23pm
post #20 of 20

Gorgeous cake! Congratulations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%