Buttercream Roses...what Worked For Me!

Decorating By AJsGirl Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 3:05pm by mommycakediva

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 20

I was playing around last night, showing a "cake civilian" friend (thanks indydebi!) how to hold a decorator bag and pipe some basics. She wanted to learn roses icon_surprised.gif which of course, I suck at, but whatever. She had fair warning. icon_twisted.gif

Digging through my tips, I found tip #97. I don't remember buying this tip, and had never used it, but it looked interesting. So I tried piping a rose with it, and it worked PERFECTLY! The very first time! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I couldn't believe it! Just out of curiosity, I tried the #104 again, and it still looked like a cabbage. icon_lol.gif

So I guess the moral of my long story is, try tip #97! It was so much easier to pipe a beautiful buttercream rose!

party.gifprincess.gifparty.gif

19 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 20

After reading your post, I went through my tips ( some I got at a garage sale a couple of years ago), and sure enough, I too have a # 97 tip that I have not ever used..... it says Bakery Crafts..... is that the same one that you have ? If it is, I'll give it a try !!

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 20

In my wilton courses after learning how to do roses with the 104's the instructor showed us how to do them with the 97. The 97 has a slight turn to it if I remember correctly and helps push out the petals more.

grama_j Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 20

Yes, it is almost an "s" shape...... do you have the smaller or larger part of the "s" on the bottom ?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 20

The 97 is my favorite rose tip. As always, fat end down! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

wesmanfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wesmanfamily Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 20

I just came across this post and I can't wait to give it a try!! I too suck at roses. I get so frustrated trying to make them that when people order cakes I tell the upfront I don't do roses! I really hope it works as well for me as it did for you.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 20

this tip is taught in course 11 with royal icing. it is called the victorian rose . it is really pretty. this tip comes in the course 11 kit.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 20

never used that tip yet, but wondered what it was for! Sure gonna give it a try, I like my roses but maybe they will look even better using this tip. Does it work for leftys does anyone know?, as I am a lefty.

grama_j Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 20

" As always, fat end down! "

LOL! LOL!!!.....Sad, but true !

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 20

no more cabbages, yay!!!

sdrosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdrosie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 20

thank you for the tip of using tip #97... I checked and I DO have that one and left over frosting, I am going to give it a try!!

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 20

Cool. I plan on giving tip 97 a try. "Cabbage" is a good way of describing mine too! icon_lol.gif Maybe I'll have better luck with this tip.
Thanks for sharing!

sdrosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdrosie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #13 of 20

thank you for the tip of using tip #97... I checked and I DO have that one and left over frosting, I am going to give it a try!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm
post #14 of 20

always looking for a new look! thanks for the "tip"!! icon_lol.gif Will be trying it very soon!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #15 of 20

For years I couldn't make roses, with any tip. Either there wasn't enough separation between the petals or the whole rose flopped over. I was using buttercream.

One of my neighbors told me she'd show me how to do it. She showed me how they did it at baskin robbins...it wasn't what I had in mind at all, and I don't think it's how the cake decorator there did it (my neighbor was a cashier) but she told me that the most important thing about making roses was to put it in the freezer or fridge for a while during the stages of it.

So after she left, I piped a bunch of middles on waxed paper squares on a flat plate. I put them all in the freezer until they were hard (looks funny in pink icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif ) but once they were hard and I put them on the flower nail, I was able to make perfect, upright roses with enough space between the petals. I usually have to put them in the fridge for a little while on the flower nail before I move them to the cake. I think it might just be the climate down here in South Texas.

It is really satisfying to be able to make them after so many years of not being able to get it right (why I didn't just take a class, I don't know).

cakesbyjulie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulie2 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #16 of 20

thanks for the tip. I will try tip #97 . I have also used hershey kisses for the center of the roses, they work great and it is added surprise!

cakesbyjulie2 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #17 of 20

thanks for the tip. I will try tip #97 . I have also used hershey kisses for the center of the roses, they work great and it is added surprise!

cakesbyjulie2 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:49am
post #18 of 20

mommycakediva Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:03pm
post #19 of 20

That is a another neat idea, the hershey kiss would sure be a great surprise

mommycakediva Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:05pm
post #20 of 20

That is a another neat idea, the hershey kiss would sure be a great surprise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%