3D Wolf Head Cake - Advice Needed

Decorating By angelbabe_28f Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 7:50am by JanH

angelbabe_28f Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbabe_28f Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 3

I have seen many of the 3D Deer head cakes here on CC and had a request from a friend to make a Wolf head cake for her husband who is into Wolves. I am doing the cake for this weekend and so far made the 3d Chocolate cake mix for 3D cakes in my tapered crockpot! (It seemed like a great idea at the time but now I have a cake that is about 6" high, 6" at the bottom and 4.5" at the top....and no idea what route to take next. I am debating between making the "skull" part of the wolf from another 3D cake mix recipe and carving (fingers crossed) into the shape of the head or taking the easy route and using Rice Krispies to mould the head. I am trying to make the cake look like the wolf is howling with nose up, head back. I have buttercream icing made in various shades of white and grey to apply with the "grass" effect tip to make it look like fur. I tried looking for wolf head cakes but couldnt find any for inspiration so I am using photos of wolf head sculptures as a guide. Any advice on how to go about the head wouldbe much appreciated. (Also, should I put a filling into the base of the cake to add some flavour to it?)

2 replies
angelbabe_28f Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbabe_28f Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 3

Okay...well since no one seemed to be able to give me any suggestions....I went ahead and did the entire cake sculpted and it turned out very good...except one ear fell off under the weight of the icing because I carved it too small and then most of the icing fell off one side of the cake just before serving because my friend put it into the back room of her house (where the FURNACE is) and it melted. Other than these two mishaps....the cake turned out beautiful. I will post pics as soon as I get them this week.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:50am
post #3 of 3

Good for you, angelbabe_28f. party.gifbirthday.gifparty.gif

Look forward to seeing pics of your creation. icon_biggrin.gif

Perhaps you would be so kind as to include directions, hints or tips. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%