Mousse Filling

Decorating By samymccray Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm by PinkZiab

samymccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samymccray Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 14

Have any of you used a mousse to fill a fondant covered cake that will be sitting out? if so what kind and how did it go?
I have a client who wants one and I've searched from one end of the internet to the other and found nothing that is nonperishable. I have heard it's done I just need to know the secret of how.

Thanks, still learning,

Samantha

13 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 14

I do not know of one that cannot be out for more than a few hours. I would keep the cake refridgerated until the very last moment and then bring it out. It would take some time to come to room temp.

There are just some limits with special fillings that have to be refridgerated

Stpehanie

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 14

Technically, any filling with cream involved has a max room temp time of 4 hours. I like to make pudding powder mousse and I can say that I have eaten some that has been out waaay longer than that and it was just fine. It will hold up well, too.

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 14

I'm also a newbie and have recently experimented with using a raspberry mousse with fondant. I filled and covered it one day and cut it the next. Everything looked good and tasted fine, so I plan on doing it again with a wedding. I hope I'm not going to kill anyone off! icon_lol.gif Any more thoughts on this would be great to read.
Kristina

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 14

I use something called flavor right. It's a non perishable, non-dairy based whipping cream type consistency. I whip it up and then add whatever flavor I want (raspberry, strawberry, chocolate) and then fill the cake...no problems and it's very sturdy!

samymccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samymccray Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:40am
post #6 of 14

flavor right? where do you get that?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 14

Yes, onegr8girl! Inquiring minds want to know! icon_smile.gif

kristina, I would be afraid to leave mousse out that long. It's one thing for family, but a huge liability issue for you for a wedding. Other people who might have compromised immune systems (eldery, young children) would be more sensitive to bacteria.

kristina67 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:54am
post #8 of 14

beachcakes, I just saw your reply and have been giving this issue some serious thinking. My bride wants chocolate cake so what raspberry mousse-like filling would you recommend. The cake will have BC and fondant. Thanks so much for your expertise...as you can see they don't call me/us a newbie for nothin'!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 14

Can you find Rich's Bettercreme or Pastry Pride in your area? They are in the freezer section I believe (I can't find them on the East Coast) in milk cartons. I've heard Sams Club will sell it to you from the bakery. You thaw and whip and since they're non dairy, they can sit out for days. If you whip 8oz bettercreme with a small pkg of instant pudding, it makes a nice mousse. If not, I"m thinking you could make a ganache and whip it? Or you could always mix raspberry puree into your BC - not really a mousse.

There are some fondants that can be refrigerated - FondX or SatinIce - if you have to use real mousse. There may be some condensation when you take them out of fridge - just don't touch the fondant and it will be fine in a few hours.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 14

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, BUT - I have seen over and over again people who say "well I've left it out and I didn't make anyone sick" as if food safety should not be such a concern.

No. You may not have made anyone overtly sick by not refrigerating something that should have been. Our bodies are used to dealing with bacteria and for the most part as long as we're healthy and have solid immune systems, we don't have a problem fighting them off. We also tend to write off a little stomach or intestinal discomfort/issues without thinking much about it.

If you are going to make and sell cakes, then I STRONGLY suggest you bone up on food safety concerns. Take a ServSafe class, study up and learn how to handle food properly. Follow ServSafe and FDA guidelines even if it may not be convenient to you, because your paying customers (and your family for that matter) deserve to have you concerned enough to do what is reasonable to protect their health.

As someone who is preparing and serving food products professionally, you have a legal obligation to do what is reasonable to make sure that the food you serve is fit for human consumption and that you have taken all precautions reasonable to make sure that is it the case.

If it's inconvenient to keep something properly refrigerated, make something that does not need refrigeration. Period.

The flippant attitude that food safety isn't all that important really ticks me off.

kristina67 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 14

Sue, thanks for the advice. I will look into the class that you recommend. I have not heard of it before. Food safety is a concern for me and that's why I appreciate this website so much because for us new cake makers we can glean from your expertise.
Kristina
icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:04am
post #12 of 14

Servsafe online:

http://www.servsafe.com/

HTH

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 14

definitely what beachcakes said.....

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 14

I fill many of my fondant (Satin Ice) cakes with real mousse. I refrigerate them (as I do all of my cakes) and the cake then only sits out for a couple hours prior to serving while displayed at the party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%