Bake Square Cake Or Carve From Sheet Cake??????

Decorating By CSMoore Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 8:10pm by CSMoore

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 7

Hi To All
Is it more hassle than help to bake two 11X15 sheet cake and cut them into a 10x10 and 5x5 square to be stacked instead of baking two 10x10 and two 5x5 square layers? Its for a wedding cake but I don't want to make it difficult on myself since I do have all the pans. I was just trying to save baking time. Thanks

csmoore

6 replies
gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 7

I think I would just use the square pans-
but it's sorta a toss up!!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 7

I'd use the pans. I don't like stacking cakes I've had to cut into the right size..they're not as stable without the nice baked edges to me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 7

Bake three 10x10 layers. Two of them go together to make one tier.

On the third one: Cut it into quarters. You now have four 5x5 cakes. Use two to make your tier for your cake ..... save the other two for your samplings or for a last minute small cake order.

I think this is less cutting/carving for you, plus you're a little ahead with the two extra's in the freezer.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with the other posters....working in sections is much easier and more stable!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 7

I just saw where you said you had all the pans ... which makes my suggestion pretty stupid! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif If you have the 5" pan, I'd bake in the 5" pan.

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Bake three 10x10 layers. Two of them go together to make one tier.

On the third one: Cut it into quarters. You now have four 5x5 cakes. Use two to make your tier for your cake ..... save the other two for your samplings or for a last minute small cake order.

I think this is less cutting/carving for you, plus you're a little ahead with the two extra's in the freezer.

great idea....i have square 14, 10, and 7 but no 6 or 5 so baking the extra 10 will do the trick...thanks everybody

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%