Need Ideas? (Barbie Island Princess)

Decorating By allee Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm by allee

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 12

OK, a very good customer wants a "barbie" cake for her daughters b-day.
I am using the generic doll pick, but she wants it colored up like the Barbie Island Princess. The cake itself is not the problem, she wants something similar to the peacock feathers that are attached to the waist of the Island Princess Barbie. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this? Or if I can buy plastic peacock feathers? All the photos that I can find look like they have used the actual doll and the "feathers" that came with, but she is giving the doll as part of the gift and doesn't want to do that. I am stuck and have no idea what direction to go. TIA

11 replies
marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 12

Hi there..

My daughter loves the Barbie Island Princess..What if you did the large feathers all over the cake and them have the money, the elephant and her other animal friends comming out of the feathers? Like they were hidding and then just peaking their heads out?
If you would like, I could scan a picture of the DVD cover that we have at home and send it to you if that would help you..

Good Luck

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 12

sorry.. It's not money, it's the monkeys..

allee Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 12

That is kindof what I am going to do on the sheet cake, but the other cake will be the wondermold pan on top of an 8" cake with the doll pick. How will I make the feathers and be able to attach them to the cake? Would fondant dry hard enough to stand up? I was thinking I could attach a lollipop stick and then push the stick into the back/bottom of the "dress" part of the cake, but I didn't know if that would work.

hopesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopesmith Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 12

Could you make the peacock feathers out of colorflow, let them harden and then attach them to the back of the doll?

allee Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 12

That may work. Can you paint on the color flow after it dries?

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 12

I have one in my gallery, but since it was for my daugther, I used the actual Barbie Island Princess barbie and used the feathers and animal that came with her!

Here is the link:
  http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1190119.html

That is no help though since the customer doesn't want to do that (I just read that part. :O)

I would go with colorflow, it is delicate so will look nicer than chocolate transfer... You can paint on it with vanilla and color, or draw on it with edible markers. Rather tha use a popsicle stick, I would just make a thick extension of the colorflow and stick that down, that's what I've done for chocolate transfers...

HTH

hopesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopesmith Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 12

Hmm don't know. Maybe one of the more experienced decorators could help with that. (-:

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 12

are you wanting to do something like this but with feathers?
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1029883.html

allee Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 12

ok, so I finally figured this out and finished the cake. It was picked up today and the lady loved it! I was happy with it, but I still think that it could have been done better. Oh well! I printed off a photo of Barbie that showed the peacock feathers. I placed wax paper over it, then traced it in a light pink royal icing. I placed 2 of the longer lollipop sticks about 1/2" apart centered in the feathers, then piped another layer of RI over that. I let it dry for 5 days, turning over every other day to be sure that it was good and dry. Then I handpainted the details w/food coloring (gel) mixed with lemon extract. I added some touches of colored piping gel and edible glitter when the painting had dried. Then after icing the cake/doll, I carefully inserted the "feathers" into the back of the dress. Like I said, it could have been better, but the 4 year old thought it was cool and the mom couldn't believe that I had made it. Gotta love ppl that don't make cakes and are impressed with what little I know! Couldn't get the pic to attach, it's in my photos though. Thanks to all the help that I got on here!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 12

It turned out great!

allee Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks! If it weren't for all the spectacular ppl on this site, I probably wouldn't have even tried it. All of you guys are just great. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%