Carved Cake Edge

Decorating By angienajjar Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 3:37am by angienajjar

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:12am
post #1 of 6

Hi CC'ers....posted this question before...not getting anywhere - here goes again. I would like to know if anyone has carved the top edge of a cake in a WAVE design (featured in CAKEWALK book by M. Braun) and if so, any directions will be appreciated. Have a request for May wedding. Thanks in advance.

5 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:20am
post #2 of 6

While it wasn't quite like Margaret Braun's wavy edge, the ballerina cake by Debby Brown has a similar effect. (There's one of the ballerinas in my photos.) For an effect sort of in between those two, you could cut a wedge out of the top edge of the cake and flip the wedge over and place it on the flat of the cake next to where you cut out the wedge. Do that all the way around. Does that make sense, or no?

Deanna

heathercarnold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathercarnold Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:43am
post #3 of 6

This is a great question! I tried this affect on a cake recently and didn't have much luck.
I took a piece of round parchment paper and folded it so it had six wedges (like if you looked at a cut pizza). Then I used this to mark the cake and cut the cake using a knife. I made my marked points the high parts and in between the low.
This is only my guess. Maybe someone has a better solution.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:13am
post #4 of 6

Heh, I've seen cakes with a "wave" effect in buttercream before... But I don't think it was intentional... icon_wink.gif

I haven't heard of this concept before, but i'm intrigued! I'll have to give it a shot sometime... icon_biggrin.gif

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:06am
post #5 of 6

I'm not sure if it's like Margaret Braun's cake but I carved a scalloped design in one of my cakes. I semi froze the cake then carved half moon shapes (measured first so they came out even) off the edges then carved down so the bottom was tapered. It's covered with fondant and then painted with luster dust. Hope that helps.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1198390

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:37am
post #6 of 6

Tanks everyone,
Will take the advice.
Just wondered if anyone had another idea - other than carving, such as making wedges out of fondant, then covering using the 'wedge' to create the height of the wave, and the 'valleys' would then be made using the original surface of the cake. Hope this makes sense, but this is what I was thinking, as the cake has 5 layers, I was wondering about the stacking.....!!!! any ideas?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%