Can You Help Me To Figure This Out? Please

Decorating By aydg Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm by tiggy2

aydg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aydg Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 5

Hi guys .. I'm a newbie (actually this is my first post icon_redface.gif ) and this is the first cake I'm going to do for a profit so I really need to figure this out correctly... Do you have an idea in how should I bake/carve this cake.. I know it looks simple but I need some help.. And also.. how long and tall do you think it is?? I'll appreciate any help or advice in this I'm really nervous about it.. Thanks

PS the cake is from flickr user: TheSpongeCake
LL

4 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 5

First things first ... Hello icon_smile.gif glad you posted icon_smile.gif

2nd- How many do you need to feed... then you figure out what size you need... I did a purse cake for the first time and had to go really big.. which will kinda make it look different then a smaller version...

3rd- some of the features will have to be made ahead of time .. Like handles if you want them to do something then just lay there ...

I baked my layers filled the cake 1 day.. let the filled cake do its settling over night

then I flash froze and carved... while partially frozen I iced .. a little more then a crumb coat but less then normal... then stuck it back in the freezer to let it get a little hard (make sure you smooth your BC really well so it doesn't show under the fondant )
Then covered it in fondant... if you have issues with it "sweating" after it sits, use a fan to dry it a little icon_smile.gif

HTH's some

Christi

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 5

sorry to go off topic for a minute, but wgoat5 - how do you "flash freeze"???

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 5

You stick it in the freezer maybe for a hour or so .. just enough to get it hard but not TOO hard icon_smile.gif Sorry.. I should of been clearer

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 5

There's a tutorial in the article section for carving a purse cake if you'd like to check it out,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%