Petit Fours Molds

Decorating By Chiara Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 10:21pm by msthang1224

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 12

I found an ebay company on this site I think under disasters that offered up a petit fours mold company.
Well I treated myself to this mold kit for my birthday this week and I must say that I was disappointed. There goes $73.00 down the drain. It makes an ok product but it turns out more like a chocolate than a petit fours. They are molded in chocolate or if you want to make much effort to do them with fondant.
I also found the instructions to be on the vague side. So if you want a chocolate more than a petit fours this is the kit for you. If not, then I would keep on looking.

11 replies
DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:31am
post #2 of 12

thanks for the heads up on this. I'm interested in making petit fours, and had considered molds, but I'll keep looking!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 12

Bummer. I think this kind of thing happens to each of us at some point. I spent over $100 on a fondant-ring set that I now will never use. Ah well, another item for my "wall of shame". icon_redface.gif

And the petite four molds are a personal preference thing. I bought Kathy Scott's molds and love them. So perhaps you can find another decorator that would make better use for them. You know what they say, "One man's junk is another man's treasure."

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 12

I was wondering if any of you would share your insight on petit fours. I havent the slightest idea how they work or are structured.

Can you cut them out of a sheet cake with a circle or square cutter? Do they have fillings or just straight cake? What size are they usually?

sorry so many questions but I just got an order for some and thought... better learn now .

TIa for any help
Kim

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 12

PS... I absolutely hate when Ive purchased something and its sitting collecting dust. I try to think... HOW can I use it.

(sometimes it is a flower former haha)

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiara

I found an ebay company on this site I think under disasters that offered up a petit fours mold company.
Well I treated myself to this mold kit for my birthday this week and I must say that I was disappointed. There goes $73.00 down the drain. It makes an ok product but it turns out more like a chocolate than a petit fours. They are molded in chocolate or if you want to make much effort to do them with fondant.
I also found the instructions to be on the vague side. So if you want a chocolate more than a petit fours this is the kit for you. If not, then I would keep on looking.

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your kit. I am pretty sure I know which kit you are referring to, and I have it also. But.......... don't throw it out yet, as I found a good way to use it. The cutters and molds were used to create these mini cakes: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1208102
Maybe this will be of help to you.. icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 12

LJ, those are great!! How did you get the texture on the sides and top?

I have all three of those petit fours mold kits plus some other stuff she sells. Sometimes I use them for petit fours and sometimes I make mini tea cookies from the mini cutters and make them fancy by molding fondant in the silicone molds and dusting them with lustre dust. I've also made chocolates (not petit fours) from the chocolate molds. There's a lot of uses for these things -- think outside the box! icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. There is a CC member named MAC and another one (I forget her name) who have done these petit fours -- look under a gallery search and write them. If I find the other gal's name I'll post it. Overall they were both very helpful! icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

LJ, those are great!! How did you get the texture on the sides and top?

Thanks! I used the ribbed roller and cut strips with my bow cutter/with the stitching tool attached. http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17420 and http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17248
Prepare the cakes just like for petit fours, and wrap the fontant around the sides, and then cut the tops with the same cutter..... waa laa... really pretty easy.....

CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Here we go: Her CC name is mjs4492.

Indeed, beautiful~! That is how the set was intended, and taught by Kathy to be used.. but you know how we are always trying to re-invent the wheel icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 12

Another thing I do with them is instead of cutting cake and molding it, I make cake ball "dough" and use that instead. Very tasty! icon_biggrin.gif

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:21pm
post #12 of 12

HI, I have to make some petit fours for 2 customers and I would like to know how much should I charge for them. Some will be filled and others will be plain.

TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%