Storing Petit Fours ?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 18 Jan 2017 , 4:10am by Laceyjean80

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 5:20am
post #1 of 14

I was just wondering how long I can store petit fours & how long I can store them.

I'm planning on making the cake & putting a layer of buttercream on top before covering w/ poured fondant.

I can't decide if I want to torte & fill or not. How many of you torte & fill your petit fours?

13 replies
Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 14

I've never had much luck with petit fours, but when I worked at the grocery store bakery they would freeze them with the poured fondant already on them, actually the were shipped in that way we didn't make them there. Anyway, they were filled and then all we had to do was decorate them when we got an order. Don't know if that is of any help, but that's my experience with them.

Sue

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 14

I usually just put a layer of BC on top and then cut and pour fondant over them. Petit Fours are meant to only be an inch or so high. You could fill them if you choose but i don't think it is needed. icon_biggrin.gif

Mine end up being about 1 1/2 inches high.
HTH

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 14

Okay...call me Newbie...but I haven't yet figured out the initials "HTH". I keep thinking "Hand to Heart", but that's just silly now, isn't it? icon_biggrin.gif

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 14

Without torting and filling, petit fours are fine just stored in a baker's box for a couple/three days. I actually discourage putting them in the fridge as I think the moisture makes the petit four icing sticky and that type icing needs to air dry.

I have frozen completed petit fours and they do okay being frozen. I suggest that if you do freeze them to make sure you take them out long enough before eating to thaw and "air dry" again.

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 14

HTH - hope that helps.

dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks. You can tell by my post (double question) that it was late & my brain wasn't working lol!

I was kinda just wondering if I could bake the cake, put the buttercream on top & freeze that for a couple of days before icing & decorating them? I'll be making 2 cakes for that weekend & just trying to see if that would be a possibility. If so, would you keep it in the pan & just wrap it really good or would you take the cake out & wrap the entire cake after the buttercream's frozen enough?

Thanks again.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 14

Store them??? How in the world do you get them to turn out? Are the petit four gods just against me???? LOL I have given up trying to make them and I envy those that can icon_sad.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 14

This will be my 3rd attempt. Not that I'm a fan, but my SIL is a trooper & I'm going to try my hand at them again after finding a tutorial on them. I've always used apricot glaze & the tutorial said to cover w/ a layer of buttercream before pouring the fondant. So, I'll try yet again. My unfortunate luck has come w/ covering the sides. Hopefully I'll get lucky this time---as I cross my fingers!

lolabunny7178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolabunny7178 Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #10 of 14

i hope it's ok to post a link to someone else's blog, but I saw on here awhile back petit four's with baby booties on top. They were so cute. Everyone asked for instructions and the nice lady (can't remember her name) posted her instructions on her blog. the link is http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/

HTH

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 14

That's it (the link I am going to use). I was on the computer that didn't have it bookmarked & having a bugger of a time w/ CC site loading. Thanks for posting the link though. I was just wondering how long I could freeze after they're prepared & before cutting.

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #12 of 14

torting = BAD.

icon_biggrin.gif

I tried to make petit fours over the weekend, and boy, was it hard!! I put the cake in the freezer in between EVERYTHING I did. When I tried to cover them, every one of them slid. I had a very thin layer of buttercream, and lemon curd in between, and a thin layer of buttercream on top. When I spooned the warm (not too hot) poured fondant on the cakes, the top cake peice hydroplaned....

I'm going to try again, but this time, I'm not torting! I'm going bake my cake a tiny bit thicker, put a thin layer of lemon curd, and a thin layer of buttercream, and then cover them.

also, I tried poured fondant, and it was awful! it was very sugary and didn't cover like I thought it should.

I cut some of the torted cakes in half to test a little theory... I used white chocolate with a little crisco mixed in. I melted it over a double boiler, and left the bowl on the warm pan as I worked. it was beautiful. it didn't show through, and had a little crunchy "shell."

as my husband told me, "Don't give up! you'll get it!!"

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 14

Well, instead of torting I baked 2 thin layers & frozen them. I plan on filling, cutting & covering a small portion to see how it turns out before ruining a batch.

Laceyjean80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laceyjean80 Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 4:10am
post #14 of 14

So I tried making these this week for the second time and I froze the petit fours first then I put a toothpick though the bottom to hold it while I poured the fondant on! I held it at an angle and poured too first and did a swirl around the sides! OMG THEY TURNED OUT AWESOME! only bad thing is the fondant is so sweet it almost takes away from the awesome cake I made!  So after I coated them and put them toothpick down in a gridded cooking rack and then after cooking a bit pulled the toothpick out from the bottom! I thought it worked pretty slick

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%