Cake Tasting Question?

Decorating By sasporella Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 6:40am by sasporella

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 9:31am
post #1 of 3

I have read loads and loads about customers and cake tasting. My question is how do you make this possible? Do you have to make a few different cakes in different flavours, cut into slices and freeze what you don't use, or do you make cupcakes. I was thinking would this work out to be expensive do you need to make fresh for each customer or if the leftovers are frozen do they still taste fresh when defrosted for the next customer. Is this what happens or am i wrong icon_confused.gif

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 3

There are lots of opinions on cupcakes vs cakes.

I prefer to bake 6" single layer cakes and cut them in quarters, giving me four 3x3x2 cakes. I prefer the look of a regular cake vs. a cupcake. It's just my personal preference.

I tort these, fill them with various fillings, so when I slice them (and I get 4 slices from each quarter ... and since I limit tastings to 4 people, this works out well).

I keep white, choc and maybe some red velvet or carrot cake in the freezer. If they are wrapped well in saran, they hold up for quite some time. They thaw in minutes. I don't freeze them with the filling in them.

I usually serve 2 white cakes with 2 different fillings, and a 2nd flavor cake. To me, the sampling is NOT to try every item on my menu so they can decide what they want to buy (does Olive Garden let you do that?), but it's to see if they like my baking and how my cakes taste. My lemon cake will taste just as good as my white cake only it will taste like lemon.

As far as the expense ... the real expense is your baking time ... the mixing, the cleanup. So when I have these 3x3 cakes in my freezer, it takes me less than 15 minutes to prepare for a sampling .... not an hour's worth of mixing/baking/cleanup time.

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 6:40am
post #3 of 3

Thanks indydebi for explaning that to me, i understand what to do now. Thanks once again icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%