Cupcake Size!

Decorating By Meagazz Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 3:23am by Meagazz

Meagazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagazz Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all! I am still pretty new to this decorating world, and this website is completely addictive and very helpful!!

I was just wondering if any of you could give me a hand... Every time I make a batch of cupcakes, they never seem to be the same size. I go to the gourmet cupcake bakeries in my city to check them out and my cupcakes look FAR from these ones!!

Could anyone give me help with the following:

1. What size of cupcake liner to do use? And is there a certain type you find works best?
2. What tricks do you use to make all of your cupcakes the same size, and how do you keep them from falling to one side more than the other? I've found 'eye-balling' doesn't work so well!!

Any help would be muchly appreciated!!

Thanks all!!

7 replies
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Meagazz, I saw an online video where the gal used a ice cream scoop with the squeezy handle thing. This way it was the same amount in each cup. I tried it and it really helps make consistent sized cupcakes. Another tip I've read, and now do, is place a cutting board/something weighty on top of the cupcakes when they have peaked. works like a charm!

Best of luck to ya!!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 8

I make "standard" size cupcakes on a regular basis. Mostly I use the Wilton cupcake liners primarily because I prefer all white liners vs. assorted pastel shades which is the "norm" of the supermarket ones. I don't think that there's any advantage of "type" of cupcake liner.

But as Goodies points out - the secret to even cupcakes is using the right size ice cream scoop. The one I have is perfect - an even scoop of batter brings the cupcake to a nice, even, flat top just barely above the cupcake liner. That leaves plenty of room for icing (which IMHO is what a cupcake is the perfect vehicle for).

Ice cream style scoops (heavy, stainless steel rounded scoops with the lever in them) come in different sizes marked by volumn ounce from a restaurant supply store. Restaurants use these for portion control and they are very effective. Look in the yellow pages for a restaurant supply store near you (or online) - they are a GREAT source of cookware for the home cook. Restaurant supply stock is generally very sturdily made and often very economical (which is good because I always buy too much when I go to them). Cost will vary slightly with size, but they're usually about $10, give or take a dollar or two.

DO NOT buy a generic scoop that does not have the size marked. And never one made of plastic, other than the handle. The "bowl" and the moving parts need to be made of stainless steel.

The "perfect cupcake scoop" I have is a "1 5/8" ounce scoop. While you're there, pick up the smallest one they have - perfect for drop cookies and meatballs.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 8

i agree with both replies. when i first made cupcakes, i tried using measuring spoons but i can't get all the batter out. the ice cream scoop really helped me a lot. it's faster too and not messy icon_smile.gif

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 8

I'm a believer in using the ice cream scoops. I found mine at the kitchen supply store, and I use two different sizes on a regular basis. They're wonderful for filling cupcake tins, as well as shaping drop cookies and meatballs. If I use my larger scoop, I use one scoop of batter for regular size cupcakes or two scoops for jumbo cupcakes. These scoops are definitely worth the investment.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 8

I use a measuring cup to scoop my batter for cupcakes and a spoon to pull it out. Use whatever measure will fill the liner about 2/3 full. Mine usually rise a little above the liner and then settle level when they cool. I thump the filled cupcake pan on the counter gently to settle it into the papers.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 8

Until my digital kitchen scale committed suicide, I used it to get pretty consistent cupcakes. For the regular size it was about 40-45 grams of batter per cupcake.

Meagazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagazz Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:23am
post #8 of 8

That's great everyone! I am definitely going to remember all of these little tricks! It's great to know that when you have a dillemma that people are ready to jump right in an help you find a solution! Thank you everyone for your replies!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%