Fl Ices Convention

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 1 Apr 2008 , 5:30pm by pjaycakes

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:28am
post #1 of 13

I just registered for the ICES Convention and signed up for some demos. This will be my first convention and I really don't know what to expect. At the demos do you just watch or do you get to participate? Do you need to bring any equpment to the convention? I am not a vendor nor have anything to display. Just a knowledge thirsty, curious cake decorator icon_biggrin.gif

Also, my husband is coming with me to Disney and staying at the hotel (he said it's my early birthday present, but he won't be joining me at the convention, so I'm kind of going it alone also.

I would appreciate any info about the convention. Thanks

12 replies
rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 13

Hi pjaycakes,

In the demos, you are just watching them, there is no hands-on. The hands-on courses (that cost $50) allow you to learn by doing and you don't have to bring anything, all of the supplies for the hands-on classes are supplied for you.

Since you're in the Central Florida, you should definitely think about bringing a cake for the sugar art gallery. There are different prize drawings for people who bring cakes to display in the sugar art gallery (if you pre-register). If you bring a cake display, I would bring tools, supplies, icing, etc just in case it needs to be repaired. I'm actually thinking about doing two displays.

This is my first convention as well and I am actually on the planning committee for the convention. I'm really excited too. I have heard (and already agree) that for first-timers, volunteering is a good opportunity to get involved and meet people at the convention.

There is information about the sugart art gallery and volunteering at:
http://ices.org/convention/convention.htm

The FL Chapter of ICES is at: http://www.flices.org/default.asp

Also, we have talked about having a cake central meetup (the original thread is lost but I created a new one): http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-579024.html

HTH and definitely post if you have any other questions! icon_smile.gif

~Julie~

**edited to take out stray img tag

pjaycakes Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 11:22am
post #3 of 13

Rozdei -

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure about bringing a display since I'm pretty busy with other cakes and stuff, but I am just so excited about being able to go.

What kind of volunteering activites do they have?

I'm sure your displays will be great. Can't wait to see them.

rozdei Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 13

Patty,

I think pretty much everyone uses dummy cakes so you could even start on it now. I'm going to be starting mine next month. There is a $500 drawing for those who pre-register their displays. icon_smile.gif

As for volunteer activities, they need people at registration, before/after demos & hands-on classes, and many different ones. I'm going to PM you an email contact so you can write the Volunteer Chair and ask her the particulars. They also will have volunteer drawings. One of them is if you work at least 10 hours, you get put into a drawing for a Nic Lodge class. icon_smile.gif

See you there!
~julie~

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 13

Patty--
You will love ICES convention--this is my 3rd one. I took a dummy cake last year and you get stuff for bringing one. I received 2 Wilton pans and several how-to books and some cookie cutters (the amount you get depends on the tiers--I think)

I will be taking my Crisman Tablescape cake--already finished. May even try to take a second one but that, too, depends on how busy I am since I am now officially legal.

So start working on a dummy now--It's going to be a blast.
Is your husband going to the banquet with you?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 13

They have a first timers orientation which is very helpful if you have not attended before. I highly recommend it.

Have a GREAT time!!!! I'll be there!

Jen icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 9:26am
post #7 of 13

No, my husband won't be going to the banquet. He's kind of just doing his own thing. It will be great to get together with other people from this area. I'm always looking for people that live close by (within an hour is close for me), that can understand my cake talk icon_smile.gif

I am hestitant about doing a dummy cake, because I'm not sure that I'm up to the caliber of decorators that will be displaying at the convention, but by July I may talk myself into it.

Since this is my first convention I was planning on just taking it all in; but now hearing all this about volunteering and enter cakes sounds like it could be fun.

Mac Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 13

Not up to the caliber...
What??? You have some very nice cakes in your gallery.

The convention is for ALL cake decorators. I didn't take a cake the first year that I went because I was winging it on my own. I, too, thought it had to be show quality. Well, it was just me.

pjaycakes Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 13

You all are right. I decided to do a display. I have a great idea that I have been kicking around in my head for awhile now. It is a 3 tier topsy turvy, but I'm not sure how I will do the design, because the theme has to do with some of the Disney characters and I don't think I can use the actual pictures (edible images) on the cake. I think I can however get the theme across by just using decorations to portray the characters.

Does anyone know if that is okay (legally)?

Mac Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 13

YOu are in luck--Disney has given us the OK to use the Disney characters on our cakes for the convention.

Check with the FL ICES group to make sure but we were told that last year at the banquet.

pjaycakes Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 13

Too cool. I will definitely check. Thanks so much for the info.

rozdei Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #12 of 13

Patty,

You can but we will not be able to publish any copyrighted characters. ACD takes pictures and put them in their magazine and ICES takes pictures for the newsletter; throughout the year, they will put pictures of the the last convention in the monthly newsletter. Disney will not allow us to publish their copyrighted characters in the newsletter. Nor can we do any other characters that are non-Disney in the newsletter. I'll try to find the exact verbage.

And I agree, your cakes are very nice. You should definitely do a display.

Hope this makes sense.
~julie~

pjaycakes Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 13

Julie - Yes, I spoke with Elaine and I have changed my choice of designs. In fact I may do 2 cakes icon_smile.gif I pm'ed you about the ICES Team meeting on the 13th. Don't know if you got it with the website going down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%