Corn Starch & Fondant

Decorating By abw2005 Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 12:49am by icer101

abw2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abw2005 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 6

Need some help again please! icon_smile.gif I've been using shortening as a way to keep my fondant from sticking and well, I'm not that please with the results....I'm curious about the corn starch method, and how it works when rolling out dark colored fondant. How do you get it all off w/o it showing on the cake? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 6

I don't use cornstarch, I use powdered sugar instead. I just brush it off with a pastry brush after I place it onthe cake.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 6

I use the cornstarch method. I litely sprinkle the work surface and after I'm done, I brush it off with a pastry brush.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 6

I use a ton of cornsratch when i roll out. after the fondant has set up a bit i give the whole cake a light rub down with crisco and it all goes bye bye.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:20am
post #5 of 6

I roll out on a vinyl mat with a dab of crisco rubbed on it--never any trouble, no matter what color the fondant. One thing that may help is to turn the fondant 90-180 degrees after every 3rd or 4th roll of the pin--NOT TURN IT OVER, just lift it up & turn the whole piece 1/4th to 1/2 turn.

I don't know what else to say--I just don't have a sticking problem doing it this way and I never have anything to brush off or rub off after I place the fondant on the cake.

If I'm rolling out dark chocolate fondant (it tends to be stickier because of the chocolate), I'll roll it out on the vinyl with some cocoa powder--that blends in as you smooth the fondant.

HTH
Rae

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:49am
post #6 of 6

abw2005 sharon from sugarshack has a great dvd on this topic. it is wonderful. she works very hard on this dvd to show us all her techniques about fondant on different shaped cake. i hope you will get it. you won,t regret it. also her buttercream one is wonderful and she has a new one about stacking coming out in april. you can pre order that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%