Too Moist??

Baking By jonicca Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 5:24am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 17

I have a recipe for a chocolate fudge cake that tastes great, but it is way too moist for my purposes. How can I firm it up a little without compromising the flavor? Maybe an additional egg?

16 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 17

I'm not sure but I think an additional egg might change the flavor a little. If it were me I'd probably try cutting back on the amount of liquid in the recipe. I don't know if your recipe has sour cream in it but I've also found that too much sour cream can make a cake "wet". Hope you can work it out.

jonicca Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 17

Thank you lorijom. There's no sour cream in the recipe, but there does seem to be a lot of liquid (3 cups plus oil). The batter comes out very thin. Maybe I will try to cut back on the liquid. Any other oponions???

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 8:54am
post #4 of 17

3 Cups oil?? Omg....that is likely the problem....I'd try to reduce that amount by half and add a cup of Sourcream in it's place. Also, adding another egg won't hurt either, but that adds fluffiness not moisture. Make sure you put your wet ingredients in first and mix, and then add the dry.

Good luck!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 10:21am
post #5 of 17

jonicca -

There seems to be a little confusion here. Do you mean 3 cups of liquid, and then oil, or three cups of oil.

Perhaps you should show us the whole recipe, so we can figure this out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 10:38am
post #6 of 17

how about replacing some/all the oil w/ butter?

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 17

Try this:

1 box DUNCAN HINES devils food cake mix (Follow recipe on the side of the box for the pound cake)
PLUS
1 envelope DREAM WHIP (found on same aisle as pudding)

SIFT THE DRY INGREDIENTS TOGETHER.
EGGS NEED TO BE ROOM TEMPERATURE.
REMEMBER-BEAT EVERYTHING TOGETHER FOR 2 MINUTES.

HAPPY BAKING AND DECORATING,
CHEF ANGIE

jonicca Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:46am
post #8 of 17

It's 3 cups of liquid plus some oil. . .I got it from the recipe section of CC, but I don't remember who posted it. The flavor is wondeful!!! I just want it little more firm. Here'e the recipe:

3 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate (Lindt, Ghirardelli, etc)
1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
3 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:22am
post #9 of 17

Ah......ok now that we have the recipe I can tell you what is needed. Omit the 1/2 cup coffee, and add 1/2 cup sour cream instead. That should solve the problem.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #10 of 17

is that the double layer chocolate cake?

playingwithsugar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:33pm
post #11 of 17

Do you want the cake to be more firm, or dryer? Are you planning on using this for sculpting or a stacked wedding cake?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jonicca Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 17

Now that you mention it cupcakeshoppe, it was titled Chocolate Layer Cake from tripletmom. Theresa, I want it to be more firm so that I can sculpt it and stack it. What do you think?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 17

when i made this cake it was too moist. the bottom layer totally collapsed. I think it's not the recipe's fault though. but i loved this cake. it tasted REALLY good.

playingwithsugar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 17

This recipe is an adaptation of a velvet cake, which is totally moist.

First, I would add a box of dark chocolate instant pudding (Royal makes a Dark and Sweet Instant Pudding which I prefer to the Jello Dark Chocolate) to the mixture, and allow it to set and thicken a bit before I pan it. The starch in the pudding will absorb some of the water, and we all know that adding pudding to the mix will make the batter, and the crumb, more dense.

Another idea is to reduce the coffee to 1 cup. Here's how I would do that. The recipe calls for 1-1/2 cups coffee, so you need to keep the flavor of that amount. Boil a cup of water, then add the amount of instant coffee which would make 1-1/2 cups. Or to take it a step further, you could probably reduce the water to 1/2 cup, if you use espresso powder. Goya Brands makes Bustelo in an instant form, and at ICE we used Medaglia D'Oro Espresso Coffee.

I would not reduce the buttermilk, as the acid in the B-milk will assist the leavening action.

Experimentation is going to be the key to getting this one right, but if either idea is successful, please let us know.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jonicca Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:31pm
post #15 of 17

Thank you guys so much! I know that Pudding mix is used in cakes but I had no idea what the reasoning behind it was. I will probably try this weekend or next week, and I let you know how it turns out!

jonicca Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:21am
post #16 of 17

Okay, so i tried the recipe again, but I changed a lot! And i don't know if it worked or not. I overfilled the pans and the spilled over, so when the cake settled, of course, it sank. icon_cry.gif The flavor was really good though. Oh, I tried to pull up this thread when I was making it, but CC was sick at the time. I think I 'll try again next week, but I won't overfill my pans!

Oh, How could I forget. . .When i set the stove to the self-clean, a fire broke out in the oven!!!! Luckily, it died out on its own when I cut the oven off. It had our house so smoky though. That was enough action for me for the week!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:24am
post #17 of 17

awww sorry about that. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%