I'm Rather Proud

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 2:34pm by Mandica12182

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 12

And, of course, had to share. Now, let me preface this with a little explanation. I have NEVER done a 3d cake before, so I'm not entirely thrilled with the shape of the tractor. It looks a little cartoonish to me, plus the customer limited me a little by asking that I not use ANY fondant at all (so no RKT tires) and that everything be edible if at all possible. So, I was a little creative and used mini moon pies for the back tires and oreos for the front tires. Ok, if you ignore Mr. John Deere, I'm REALLY REALLY proud of how well the 12x12 sheet came out. My husband came home just before she came to pick it up and his first response was "OH WOW! It looks so professional!" Now granted, he's hubby and SHOULD be saying good things, it still felt really good to hear! Plus, he's never shy to offer criticism because he want to help me see problem areas.

I tried attaching it but iI have no idea how to size the photo down. Here's the link to the gallery:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1203821

Comments, suggestions and criticism is always welcome. TFL and TIA!

11 replies
kweenmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenmommy Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:27am
post #2 of 12

Very cute. Congrats on a cake well done.

butterflywings Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 12

thanks

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 12

Very Cute!!! Congrads!! thumbs_up.gif

Babycakes35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babycakes35 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 12

It came out very cute! You should be proud icon_biggrin.gif

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 12

Great job. A little of topic, but did you notice a bitter taste to the green buttercream?? I always thought it was just the red and black...but last night the green I made had a little bit of that bitter taste too. Did you notice that with yours at all??

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 12

Great job... pat yourself on the back~!

butterflywings Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 12

No, I didn't. I used indydebi's bc recipe and a wilton's kelly green gel (i only had forest green & mint green in americolor and they aren't quite the shade i was going for). The bc tasted great, as always.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 12

You did great! Your border's very nice and so is your grass. It may seem small, but my grass still needs work. I just can't get it right. I'm envious! thumbs_up.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 12

Great job. It is so cute. You say this is your first, wow. I love all the details, you nailed the color , and your ideas for tires are great . I love the board too.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 12

To begin with I think the colors look great!! I agree about the tractor looking a little cartoon-ish, made me think of Cars, but you did a great job using bc. Good choice of materials for the tires too, very clever!! You're right about the sheet cake, and the grass, wow, just adds the perfect touch. I'm pretty impressed with this cake!! Congrats on a wonderful job!! Mr Matt must have flipped over this!!

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

No, I didn't. I used indydebi's bc recipe and a wilton's kelly green gel (i only had forest green & mint green in and they aren't quite the shade i was going for). The bc tasted great, as always.

Hmmm...that's weird. Thanks for the quick responce though....and again really great job on this cake!! I love everything about it...would be nice for my cousin who works for John Deere..he'd get a kick out of it!! I am sure Matt LOVED his birthday cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%