Alternate Rice Krispie Treat Recipe?

Decorating By CrazyEye Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 2:17pm by CrazyEye

CrazyEye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyEye Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:22am
post #1 of 3

I want to make a cake in the shape of a house, and I want nice a sharp, straight roof line. I thought rice krispie treats would be perfect since they are lightweight. I also want it to taste really good. I remember eating peanut butter rice krispie treats with a chocolate topping as a kid. The closest recipe I can find is for Scotch-a-roos:

Quote:
Quote:

1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. sugar
1 c. creamy peanut butter
6 c. Rice Krispie cereal
1 (6 oz.) pkg. semi sweet chocolate pieces
1 (6 oz.) pkg. butterscotch pieces

Stir syrup and sugar over heat and bring to a full boil. Remove from heat; add peanut butter and mix well. Add cereal and stir until well coated. Turn into a buttered 11 x 13 inch pan. Spread evenly and cool. Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips in double boiler until smooth. Pour over Rice Krispie mix and cool for 30 minutes cut in squares.

Instead of pouring the chocolate over the treats in the pan, I would ice it onto the roof and put fondant on top.

Does this sound like a good or a bad idea?

Has anyone experimented with this recipe, instead of the classic RKT recipe? How did it work?

2 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 11:46am
post #2 of 3

I am making PB rice krispies for a friend of mine this week. I make it very simply:

In a large pot over a med-low heat, melt and stir:

1 bag marshmallows
1 stick butter
about 1/2 cup PB (I just kind of dollop in a few tablespoons until it's a PB-y as I want)

When it's all melted, I add most of a 15 oz box of rice krispies, stirring in some at a time until it's the right consistency.

You could definately add some chocolate to that if you wanted.

If you're using it for a roof, I would spread it out on a cookie sheet to firm up, so you have a nice, thin layer. Make sure you use LOTS of cooking spray on the pan, and also on the spoon you use to smooth it - it's really sticky.

CrazyEye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyEye Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 3

A cookie sheet is a good idea to make it really thin. Then I can probably just cut it with a knife to get nice straight edges.

What about a chocolate coating under the fondant? Will that cause any problems?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%