Buttercream...made Out Of Fondant?

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 12:49am by puzzlegut

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 6

I just recently got A Passion for Baking book by Marcy Goldman. I haven't had a chance to read it in depth, but one of the recipes that grabbed my attention is a recipe for Pastry Chef Buttercream. The recipe goes as follows:

1 pound white fondant
1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1-2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp other extract, optional

In a mixer bowl, using paddle attachment, blend fondant with butter and shortening on low speed, about 3 to 4 minutes to blend well.

Switch to whisk attachment on mixer and whip on high speed to increase volume, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stop machine and add vanilla and, if desired, other extracts and food coloring and whip on medium speed another minute to combine. (Buttercream can be frozen up to 2 months or refrigerated up to 1 week.)

To rewhip before using, allow buttercream to warm up about 30 minutes and rewhip to fluff, about 2 to 3 minutes.

I'm not quite sure how well this would work. If anyone has ever tried it and would like to share the results, it would be appreciated.

5 replies
galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:34am
post #2 of 6

I'm very curious about this and wanna know too! I saw on this site with some amazing cakes describing creamy fondant and wondered if this is what they were talking about. Creamy sounds much more appealing than chewy.

Kelley

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:49am
post #3 of 6

I'm guessing that it is not rolled fondant, but poured fondant that is used in the recipe. Sounds interesting!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:20am
post #4 of 6

I'm guessing there may be a recipe for this mystery fondant in the book as well. "Fondant" comes in many forms.

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:24am
post #5 of 6

In reference to this buttercream, Marcy Goldman mentions the following on her website:

"Fondant is from bakery supply places. Try Sweet Celebrations, and local bakeries and cake decorating shops. It exists. It can be bought. It is worth the trouble. Or else really whip the traditional butter frosting until it is like a cloud."

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:49am
post #6 of 6

I tried looking through the cookbook, but it doesn't really give much information regarding what type of fondant she's referring to. I wonder if she's referring to the fondant mix that is used for making candy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%