Carrot Cake Request....help???!!!!

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 2:25am by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 17

I just got my first order and it's for a carrot cake. He wants a 10" double layer with cream cheese icing. I just don't know where to start.

Is there a good cream cheese icing recipe that you recommend? Is it easy to spread and smooth? Do you decorate with buttercream or can you decorate with the cream cheese icing?

I'm a little nervous but know I can do this. My mom makes a killer carrot cake so I've got the recipe for that.

Are there any suggestions or tips for working/making/decorating a carrot cake?

I would love to do something really cool. Any decorating suggestions. Did I say this is my first order....LOL. And, really only the 2nd real cake I'll be decorating. I don't count my earlier ones....they weren't that good.

Thanks. And, I told him $45. Is that too much or too little. When I asked for pricing, I thought it was going to be a cake like the one I just made (chocolate with raspberry filling and buttercream icing.

Thanks!

Vicki

16 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

I don't count my earlier ones....they weren't that good.

Sorry -- I have to differ. You have some great cakes posted! icon_smile.gif

Regarding cream cheese and carrot cake: carrot cakes (as you know) are a bit heavy, so chill the cake when you have filled it (before icing it), to help stabilize it.

For cream-cheese with butter-cream workability (piping, basketweave, drop flowers, but NOT roses), I use the Wilton recipe, and subsitute 8 oz cream cheese for 1 cup of shortening (so a 2 cup crisco recipe becomes 8 oz cream cheese, 1 cup crisco). If it gets too soft, pop it in the refrigerator. Have it quite chilled for drop flowers.

Another option is to use a pure cream-cheese icing (just butter and cream-cheese) and add flowers and elaborate piping with butter-cream on top. This icing has a stronger cream-cheese taste, obviously. Both icings need to be refrigerated. Hope this helps, and best wishes!

heycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycupcake Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 17

I just made one this weekend and I used the crusting cream cheese recipe! YUM! and pretty easy to work with~def. easy for decorating!

I did a basketweave on the sides with flowers and vines on the edges...
Goodluck!

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 17

I got this recipe off this site:

Cream Cheese Frosting
1- 8 oz. package of cream cheese
3/4 stick of butter or crisco
1 Tbls milk or cream
1 tsp. vanilla
4 c. powdered sugar
Beat cheese, butter, vanilla and cream together until soft. Add powdered sugar until correct consistency to spread.
Will freeze well.

Soooooo good. I can eat it by the spoonful icon_twisted.gif

I haven't decorated with it.. and it can be very sticky/soupy.. however if you keep adding sugar, it should work for you. So far I've only had to just ice a cake with it.. but it's delicious.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 17

Martha Stewart's website and a wonderful cream cheese recipe...and it is very smooth and easy to spread!!!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 17

I use the crusting cream cheese recipe.

Many of my cakes have a layer of carrot cake in them and it's no different...

As for pricing, $45 is too cheap for a 10" cake, carrot or not! But seriously, way too cheap for a carrot cake, I don't know about yours, but I put a lot of shredded carrots in mine, plus walnuts and raisins... on top of all the other ingredients, it not a cheap cake. With cream cheese frosting being a bit more costly than buttercream too... I'm sure you'll cover your cost, but maybe not much more.

Trixyinaz Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks for all the replies. What is the crusting cream cheese recipe? I would love to try it.

I don't have my recipe in front of me, but it uses walnuts and raisins too and lots of carrots. Oh well, I'm starting out and will bite the bullet. A couple people responded to my thread of "how much would you charge" and both said $45 so I went with tha. Of course, at the time I thought he only wanted a chocolate cake.

There is a lady locally and she only charges $32 with filling. Now that seems cheap for a 10" and she says her 10" feeds 35 people and that's based on birthday cake servings.

Can I ask, what is the difference between birthday and wedding cake servings. For the 10" that I just made, I cut a circle in the center of the cake (about 3 inches in and cut the outer ring first and then cut the center circle. I don't remember how many pieces that gave me, but it was a lot. How do you cut for wedding and how do you cut for birthday?

heycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycupcake Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 17

the crusting cream cheese recipe is in the recipe section on here...you'll looove it!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 17

The recipe I gave you also is a crusting one, I believe....mine got a crust.... here is the link... Its very good. I've gotten raves!! icon_smile.gif

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=736d3e2792f63110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&autonomy_kw=cream%20cheese%20frosting&rsc=header_1

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 17

The Wilton website and the Wilton books both give info on wedding servings versus party servings.

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 17

Does he want anything decorated on it? If he didn't ask for a specific design then you could just press some finely chopped pecans around the sides of the cake and pipe some carrots on top.

When I worked at a bakery, we would ice the carrot cakes in cream cheese icing but then use just regular buttercream for any special decorations like flowers or writing etc.

I'm sure whatever you do will be great.

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 17

This is the one I use (cake and icing)...
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Carrot-Cake-III/Detail.aspx
Everyone has liked it a lot!!

The icing starts getting soft and I refrigerate and then start again so it takes a lot of time... But it's very tasty!

Trixyinaz Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you! I already made the cake and delivered it. It was a hit. Here is the photo.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1204489.html

Thanks for looking and responding! icon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 17

oh my lord that is one beeyootiful cake! well done! icon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 17

Why thank you! It's design has grown on me. When I first made it, I hated how I decorated it. I thought it looked awful. But the comments I'm getting from my co-workers, you guys and all my friends that I've shown the cake to have given me such wonderful positive comments. The more I look at it, the more I like it. icon_lol.gif

selya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selya Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #16 of 17

Hi there,
I was browsing through looking for frosting for a carrot cake. Luckily I came across this thread. I was just wondering if the cream cheese frosting can be used under the fondant icing? Thanks. Btw, you did a good job with your cake. icon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #17 of 17

Hi Selya - Thanks! It turned out to be a big hit. As for using fondant, I don't see why not. The only think I heard that you can't cover with fondant is whipped cream, Pastry Pride or Bettercream. I'm no expert and haven't used fondant to cover my cakes yet, but I would think fondant over cream cheese icing will work just fine. Good luck and can't wait to hear how your cake turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%