Dremel Tool For Cutting Dowels

Decorating By mcalhoun Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 9:49am by 2sdae

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone use one of these to cut their dowels? I am thinking of getting one but want to make sure it works before I put it on my Mother's Day wish list icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks
Melissa

10 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 11

what is this????? the option of a new dowel cutting tool is tantalizing...even though I usually the cake jacks.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 11

I think pruning shears work really well for cutting dowels--dremel tools are sure handy for tons of different things though because of all of the different attachments!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 11

2sdea.........cake jacks?????

I used my chop saw to cut dowels if I used them. Made a clean straight cut like nothing else did.

mcalhoun Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 11

I like the SDS system but I have several 3" pans and I have a devil of a time trying to cut them. Maybe the dremel would work for that too? I have tried pruning shears and PVC pipe cutters but I don't get a nice straight cut w/ either.

2sdae Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

2sdea.........cake jacks?????

I used my chop saw to cut dowels if I used them. Made a clean straight cut like nothing else did.

here ya go
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx?description=cake%20jacks&page=-1

mcalhoun Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 11

2sdae,
How do you use them?

2sdae Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 11

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=537&SubCatId=97&productId=1060

you put them next to your cakes, screw them to the height of your cake and insert then right into it. They are stable and easy to get to the same height all the way around.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:32am
post #9 of 11

I am so intrigued about the cake jacks...do you use them with wooden dowels or all by themselves? I looked on the link and they made it sound like you should use them in conjunction with wooden dowels. I would so love not to have to cut dowels!!!!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:00am
post #10 of 11

OK..... I have the answer to cutting dowels and it sounds gross at first but I got the idea from a CCer here and I have been doing it ever since!!! NO more dowel nightmares or dreaded "dowel cutting time".

I use a brand new, out of the package, washed in the dishwasher dog toe nail clipper. icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif I know, Iknow.... eeeekkkk... but once you use it you will never go back...... I promise. One snip and your done.

And it is the plyer looking kind not the kind that is enclosed.

bj icon_wink.gif

2sdae Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 9:49am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsheik

I am so intrigued about the cake jacks...do you use them with wooden dowels or all by themselves? I looked on the link and they made it sound like you should use them in conjunction with wooden dowels. I would so love not to have to cut dowels!!!!

you use them in place of dowels...no cutting involved, just screw them to the right height you need and insert.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%