Wedding Cake Design Pro

Business By kristingeorge Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 9:52pm by TinkerB

kristingeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristingeorge Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 17

I'm a very visual person and so are many customers. I have recently found this program called Wedding Cake Design Pro, and am wondering if anyone has taken the time to purchase this product? I really think for my small business it would be a nice thng to be able to provide.

Please Advise
kristin

16 replies
Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 17

I heard from a local cake supply shop owner that the program was awesome.

cynita

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 17

I haven't heard how the program is but another idea is to use Photo Shop Elements. Here's one I did with Photo Shop. I use Doug's sketches from CC and go from there. The actual cake is on my website.
LL

rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:44am
post #4 of 17

Speaking of Photoshop, this is an open source, free option, it's called Gimp

You can download it at: http://www.gimp.org/

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:06am
post #5 of 17

There are quite a few posts on this program. Some people have had good experiences and some haven't.

I know that the people who make the program are still in the process of adding more shapes and colors. They don't have a whimsical shape yet.

I personally am still going back and forth on this. I can't draw to save my life. So I'm still looking for options.

kristingeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristingeorge Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:26am
post #6 of 17

It does certainly have its set of oddities but for the most part it is a great program. It will be well worth the $60 or so dollars.

Hope this helps someone else.

Kristin

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 17

Erdica is right. Do a search for the program on here and you'll find a lot of threads.

mysticamethyst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysticamethyst Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 17

I really recommend that you do not buy this program. I did and have many complaints about its use for bakers. It should have been and be a flag to me that they don't have a trial of this software for a reason, if you tried it you most likely won't like it. It is geared towards brides, it is not user friendly at all, installing alone was a nightmare, contantly fighting it to load. Like others have said do a search and you will find many opinions on this software.

Tammy

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 17

Do we have just some simple outlined cakes on the site here that we could download and print off and then just color or fill in when we interview ? Like a simple 3 tier or stacked cake? Thank you,

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:09am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy164

Do we have just some simple outlined cakes on the site here that we could download and print off and then just color or fill in when we interview ? Like a simple 3 tier or stacked cake? Thank you,

There is an entire category for them here!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=121

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:14am
post #11 of 17

Bless your heart, Thank you so much!

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

I haven't heard how the program is but another idea is to use Photo Shop Elements. Here's one I did with Photo Shop. I use Doug's sketches from CC and go from there. The actual cake is on my website.

I have photo shop...how do you do this? Is it very time consuming?

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 7:51pm
post #13 of 17

I bought this several months ago and I really like. Yes, it is geared for bride's for some odd reason, but it's not difficult to use. I installed in at my shop and had no trouble at all. I tried to install it at home on Windows Vista and couldn't do it. However, it is lacking hexagon and oval shapes, but overall, it's a great tool. There are endless possibilities for decorating the sides, so no program could begin to have everything we could do, but this has a lot of the basics, good color selection and several different flowers and toppers to use. For the money, I'm glad I bought it!
JMO -Lori

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:08pm
post #14 of 17

I'm thinking of buying it because I'm always doing sketches for my brides, but maybe not right now. For now, I've got a file folder with master copies of my most popular cake shapes and configurations, and I just take a copy and add design or flowers to it, color it with colored pencils, and scan and email it to the bride.

What makes the software tempting is when you have one like I just did this morning, where they want to see the same cake but one with just flowers, one with pearl dots, and one with gold dots...so three copies, three scans etc. It's not a hard way to do it, and I'm always adding new sketches of cakes every time someone asks for something I don't already have (for example stacked squares with pillars between them--that was new!)--I just save the original drawing for use later.

For $69.00 I think it'd be worth having, but I'm not that busy right now, so I'm waiting til later and will search here a bit for some posts about it.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #15 of 17

I really like the program... it is pretty basic, but I like to do as much as I can in it, then save and open in illustrater or photoshop and complete the design... I'm running Vista at home and have no problems with it, the developers offer a Vista update that should fix any problems you're having with it.... icon_smile.gif

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #16 of 17

I bought this program and I am sorely disappointed in it. It doesn't have much flexability with designing cakes. I thought I would be able to whip out some great designs but its really rather limited. I sincerely feel like I wasted $80 to get the program. And you have to pay for more than the basic round or square or heart tiers. So not worth it.

TinkerB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerB Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 17

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I've just discovered it. I'm sure someone has posted this idea somewhere in another thread, but if not...

Once you have your basic shapes drawn - keep it as a master. Then there is something called Vellum paper on a roll. Architecs & int. designers use it & you can usually find it with drafting supplies at an office supply store or even Michaels. It's very thin tracing paper. Place it over your master cake shape & then draw your decorations. This will help you with the bride who wants to see the same cake with just flowers (layer #1 of tracing paper), then with pearls (layer #2), just pearls (layer #2 alone), etc....

For those who say you cannot draw - I know, it's always easier to say how easy it is to draw when you can actually do it, but what I learned in art class while going for my B.A. in Int. Design (a class I just squeaked by in) was that you need to break down an image into parts. Start with the basic shapes you see in the image like ovals, circles, rectangles, etc. & then add the detail later. Use soft pencil strokes so that you can erase easily & short quick strokes are often easier to draw with than long slow ones. Have confidence in yourself - if you stop trying you will never succeed!

Hope I can be a help to even one of you fellow CCer's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%