My Cake Was A Disaster

Decorating By lanuevarepostera Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 5:04pm by lanuevarepostera

lanuevarepostera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanuevarepostera Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:37am
post #1 of 8

Hi girls I just wanted to share with you my cake...i try to make the tupsy turvy cake but didnt came out like i wanted....we always talk and show how beautifuls are cakes came...but never our disaster so here i am sharing mine...its terrible but any help or advise you could give me or share will be appreciated...thanks
LL

7 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:46am
post #2 of 8

It doesn't look finished to me. Is it covered in fondant? If so, you could take a small bit of shortening on a paper towel and rub it all over it to help get the powdery stuff off it. As far as the topsy turvy part, I think that is how they are suppose to look. You need a border and some decorations and I'm sure it will improve the look tremendously.

lanuevarepostera Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:53am
post #3 of 8

my fondant that day it just wanst working... at all i did it llike ussual but that day everything was just going wrong wrong and wrong...but i will not give up i will try it againg ...

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:00am
post #4 of 8

It also looks like the hole wasn't quite big enough and when you put the top cake into the hole it crumpled the fondant on the side. Try making the whole about 1/4" bigger next time. You can always do a really exaggerated border (those kind of cakes you can get away with that) to cover the gap. I still think it is savable. Clean up the powder with some shortening and you can always cover the crumpled fondant with a decoration and add a border. It's really not that bad.

I had one of those days the other day with cream cheese icing. I feel for you. Just keep trying and you'll get it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:58am
post #5 of 8

If you're using MMF, when you're having a bad fondant day you can roll it out with crisco instead of corn starch.

I haven't tried a topsy turvy cake yet (not sure I like them icon_razz.gif ) but I did read an excellent tutorial on how to do them http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=71115&pid=969488&st=0entry969488 when I looked at it just now, the pictures weren't showing but maybe that's a temporary issue.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:33am
post #6 of 8

That's the same BKeithRyder tutorial thats posted here.

if it's not lost.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 5:48am
post #7 of 8

I agree, with some borders and accents, it'll probably shape up fine! If you wanna see (or add) some REALLY bad cakes, check out the "Worst Cakes" thread: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-579315-.html

Good for some giggles... icon_biggrin.gif

lanuevarepostera Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 8

thanks i will not give up i will try to make it againg...thanks girls

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%