Mccormick Food Color Vs. Wilton/americolor Coloring

Decorating By baker4life Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 9:15pm by baker4life

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 6

I've always used Wilton/Americolor gel paste, and someone asked me what the difference is between that and the McCormick food dye that you find in the grocery store for frosting/icing.

Is there a difference? Can either be used? I've never used mccormick for my cakes, so I don't know the results. Wouldn't it seperate when added to the icing because of the fat content of the icing?
Thanks!!

icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure, but as far as I know one is a liquid and the others are gels. I was aways under the impression that using liquid colors would make your icing to runny, but I could be wrong!

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 6

I love the McCormick food colorings!!! They are so cool - and neon! Rather a nice change from the "traditional" in color especially when you don't want traditional.

As for what it does to your icing - it does not make it runny at all. A little goes a long way with the food coloring so you don't have to put a whole lot in. I also use it in my gumpaste and fondant and it always works like a charm! HTH

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 6

I'm not a fan of McCormick's colors, but it's been years since I tried them. I just didn't like what it did to the texture of my frosting. I'm loving Americolor more and more especially their bright, almost neon shades. Doesn't seem to take as much color to get results. Wilton gels are ok too. I just hate scooping it out of the little containers. JMHO

Paula

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 6

That's correct.....the others will thin your icing for you......

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 6

Wow!!
Thanks for all the help and the quick replies!
I'm still stickin' with my Americolor! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%