Help With Conversion!!!

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 9 Jan 2007 , 2:23pm by berryblondeboys

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 1:02am
post #1 of 16

Hi Y'all -- Can someone help me with my conversion math? (if it's math, it gives me a headache!! icon_confused.gif ) I'm trying to convert this recipe to standard measure:
500g White Chocolate Buttons
150g Liquid Glucose
50g Liquid Sugar **
It is the white chocolate paste for roses recipe in the recipe thread on this site. As best I can figure out, 50 g = 1/4 Cup, 150 g = 2/3 Cup and 500 grams = 2 1/4 cups. Does this sound right?

15 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 1:30am
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Hi Y'all -- Can someone help me with my conversion math? (if it's math, it gives me a headache!! icon_confused.gif ) I'm trying to convert this recipe to standard measure:
500g White Chocolate Buttons
150g Liquid
50g Liquid Sugar **
It is the white chocolate paste for roses recipe in the recipe thread on this site. As best I can figure out, 50 g = 1/4 Cup, 150 g = 2/3 Cup and 500 grams = 2 1/4 cups. Does this sound right?

If I'm using my kitchen calculator correctly

500 grams = 17 5/8 ounces
150 grams = 5 1/4 ounce
50 grams = 1 3/4 ounce

but here is the mathematical fomula

to change grams into ounces divide the grams by 28

Mala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 1:43am
post #4 of 16

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out the American equivalent so I don't have to weigh all the liquid ingredients. But it's difficult when one comes up with 1.68 cups -- my original measurements posted above were rounded from those figures.

Mala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 1:46am
post #6 of 16

1.69 cup acording to my calculator give 13 1/2 fl. ounces

I'm using a kitchen calculator that converts from ounce to grams to ml from pounds to cups to ounces to kilograms..

from percentages to..

well you get the drift..hope I'm using it right..lol

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 5:58am
post #7 of 16

Be careful when converting that you're not mixing weight and volume measurements.

It gets confusing, because in the American system, we use "ounce" to mean weight AND volume, and it's true that one liquid ounce of water weighs one ounce in weight. However, that's not true for other things! A cup of powdered sugar, for example, weighs about half as much a cup of granulated sugar, because it's less dense.

Dividing the number of grams by 28 will give you the WEIGHT in ounces, but that does not usually correspond to the VOLUME measurement in ounces.

If you just convert 50 grams to 1/4 cup, regardless of the ingredient you're measuring, you probably won't get the right amount of each thing.

There have been several charts posted with conversions of specific ingredients - the one I use was posted here by Crimsicle, in her photos in the gallery.

I'm not sure, however, if those ingredients are listed in her chart.

Here's a link to her chart, I hope this helps you somewhat! (If the link doesn't work, do a search in the galleries for "conversion". there will be two charts that come up - you want the one that was added on Feb 24, as it contains a few corrections from the previous version.)

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=conversion&cat=0&pos=0&search=conversion

Laura.

RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 6:02am
post #8 of 16

the conversions I did ..

to fluid ounces what was liquid

and to ounce what was not..

but it's always good to double check...

that was one of the things ingrained into our brains in culinary school...fluid ounces is no the same as ounces and there are only 3 liquids that can convert eighter or...

milk
water
egg whites

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 16

The problem I'm having with this recipe is that I have no way to measure it in grams. I'm in America, and we have cups, teaspoons and tablespoons, not gram measures. That's why I'm trying to round the gram chart conversions, so I can try the recipe with some success.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 16

I would say, buy yourself a scale as that is the only sure way your measurements will come well. Plus, it opens up a whole new world of trying recipes.

I, at first, hated the cookbook given to me in grams/ounces as I was so used to measuring in cups/spoons, but... now I prefer it as I use less dishes! and then I know that my measurements are right. I also use it when trying to divide dough equally or pie crust, etc. It allows me to make batches of something and then divide it equally for storage.

You can get decent scales at any kitchen store, online and even in stores oftentimes like TJMaxx or Marshalls. Try to get a higher weight one - like an 8 lbs scale which can convert grams to pounds.

I found a Polder (Poder?) scale at Marshalls a few years ago for $25 when normally online it's like $70 or more and it's one of my best tools in the kitchen and I keep it in the front row of my base cabinet for the easy pull out. Mine is digital, battery operated, so it's not even a big tool in the kitchen.

If you are set on just converting this one measure, Risquebusiness has a great scale and the skill to tell how to convert your wet ingredients and your dry ingredients, but if you have things like brown sugar or powdered sugar, it would require someone to weigh it on their scale, and then put it into a measuring cup to get the true conversion as it seems obvious that 100 grams of powdered sugar and 100 grams of brown sugar are not the same cup measure.

Some recipes are a bit forgiving if your measurements are off, but if it's a european style cake, they can be quite unforgiving.

Melissa

RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 16

Melissa is correct, I have 3 digital scales and they all convert ounces, grams...wet ..dry ingredients..

it's about 1/2 the size of a page the one I use the most..I even took it to school every day for 2 years as I HATED the big balance scales at school..

you know, those old fashion ones with the two bowls on either side! but you have to know how to use those for the RBA aprentiship programs..lol

anyway, you can find yourself an inexpensive one as she says..I did get mine online for about 60 and the other 2 I got on sale for about..50 bucks at school.

I also have a kitchen calculater that converts recipes and formulas..

and I can change the servings and that was only 30 bucks..!!

Great tool to make your favorite recipe that makes one.....to make 4, 8 or 10!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 10:52am
post #12 of 16

Try this site. It seems to have every possible conversion that I've ever needed.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 16

I have a kitchen scale that converts oz/lbs and grams. It also deducts the weight of the measuring bowl. I can use that. Living in America, I like to scoop and measure everything, which is why I was inquiring about rounding conversions. It's been a good discussion!! icon_smile.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:28pm
post #14 of 16

Oh My Goodness, you were trying to convert in math, when all you had to do was measure it by weight once and then take note of how many scoops and spoons there were? If you hate math, and you have the tools, then that's what you should do. Go out of your way to weigh and then put in measuring cup terms and then the work is done for you from then on out. Seems easier and faster than coming to a computer, looking up a conversion chart for wet and dry ingredients, noting that and then doing the measuring.

Melissa

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:54pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

Oh My Goodness, you were trying to convert in math, when all you had to do was measure it by weight once and then take note of how many scoops and spoons there were? If you hate math, and you have the tools, then that's what you should do. Go out of your way to weigh and then put in measuring cup terms and then the work is done for you from then on out. Seems easier and faster than coming to a computer, looking up a conversion chart for wet and dry ingredients, noting that and then doing the measuring.

Melissa

Never do anything the easy way when one can do it the hard way first! icon_biggrin.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 2:23pm
post #16 of 16

well, you gave me a much needed chuckle today! I'm off to get my tooth worked on for a crown and I have a party tonight (book club) and my house is not the way I want it! Why does having kids mean continual mess! ? ! LOL

So did you try it yet? Do you like it?

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%