Storing Fondant Decorations

Decorating By gandelmom Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 7:06pm by gandelmom

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:07am
post #1 of 17

I can't find an answer to this question in the forums...
I made all my fondant decorations for a sushi cake that I will bake and serve next Friday-
One decoration is a small round piece of cake wrapped with fondant and a little BC on top sprinkled with white sprinkles-(a sushi roll)

Anyway, how do I store all my pieces: chopsticks, rolls, fortune cookie etc. so they will be fine next Friday?

Thanks a million!

16 replies
gandelmom Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:51am
post #2 of 17

can someone PLEASE take a second and answer this??

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:05am
post #3 of 17

Most fondant is stored in plastic ziplock bags. I am guessing that you would like for them to stay plyable... If you have a vacumn packer, you could put them in a little box and suck most of the air out of it... I just picked up one of those new Reynolds hand helds and it work great with their bags.

Oh...and it is Easter... I'm sure many people are busy with family...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:33am
post #4 of 17

If you want them pieces to dry and be hard, then you can just store them in a cake box. This would keep them dust free until you need them.

gandelmom Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 17

thanks!

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 17

I saw somewhere in a book where they stored all their fondant items they made in a rubbermaid plastic 3 or 6 drawer container. Theres all sorts of sizes out there. Should keep them dust free, good if you want to keep them for a bit to harden up. Just an idea! icon_smile.gif

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 17

You need to make sure that you keep your decorations out of direct sunlight and away from fluorescent lighting because it will alter the colors. I found that out at the 2006 ICES convention in Dallas. When my cake arrived the flowers were purple, but after 3 days at the convention under the fluoresent lighting they turned blue. I am glad that American Cake Decorating took a picture of my cake when it first arrived, they published the picture of my cake in the Oct/Nov 2006 issue, boy was I suprised.

gandelmom Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 17

some of my pieces have a little piece of chocolate cake wrapped with fondant-is it okay to keep this out(in a box) a whole week? I don't want the cake part to get moldy!

thanks for all the help!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 17

I'm not sure the pieces with cake and buttercream are going to keep at room temperature for a week and remain edible. You may consider putting them in double freezer bags (then put them in a small box so they don't get crushed) and putting them in the freezer.

gandelmom Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 17

thanks again-
I wrapped the pieces in saran wrap, then put them in a freezer bag and sucked out the air with straw (lol) and put them in a zip lock container.
I just hope freezing the fondant parts are okay! I guess I'll see next Friday!

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 17

I was going to suggest freezing the peices with cake. the fondant will most likely get wet from condensation when you take it out of the freezer, so unwrap it as soon as possible, and put it in somewhere the moisture can evaporate quickly.

I put a fan on mine, but you could put it in the oven with ONLY the light bulb on. that will help dry it too.

I can't wait to see your pictures!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssunshine564

When my cake arrived the flowers were purple, but after 3 days at the convention under the fluoresent lighting they turned blue.

Purple is the worst fading color. Yes, sunlight and florescents will fade colors, but for most colors it will happen over time and not as speedy as the purple does.

gandelmom Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:22am
post #13 of 17

ruth-
thanks for the advice on taking the fondant pieces out of the freezer-
I was wondering/worrying about that...
Now, I can finally relax about my fondant sushi rolls! icon_lol.gif

gandelmom Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:11pm
post #14 of 17

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1205063

Well, here's the cake! It was a big hit with my daughter!
Thank you all for helping me with various questions!
I had a blast making it-yes, it took a long time!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #15 of 17

I have a food dryer with 8 trays. I don't use it to dry food anymore so it makes a prefect place to store all my fondant flowers, leaves, and misc. pieces. Each tray has a hole in the center, so I fit a piece of parchment paper or paper towel over each tray cutting out a hole in the center, so the paper will settle down in the tray. This paper also keeps the really small flowers and leaves from falling through each tray. I don't use the base where the motor is stored, so this makes a really light weight way to store tons of pieces. I see these things at garage sales all the time, so if I want more trays, I just keep them and throw the base away. Hope this helps.
Lily

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:31pm
post #16 of 17

OOOO now I don't have to get rid of my dehydrator! Hubby says I never use it anymore (and he's right, I NEVER dehydrate food anymore), but now I can tell him "It's where I store my fondant/gumpaste decorations"

gandelmom Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:06pm
post #17 of 17

thanks for the tip-
I just stored them in a ziplock container and they were fine.
The sushi pieces had cake and some bc so I froze them since I wasn't going to use them for a week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%