First Topsy Turvy

Decorating By ericaann79 Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 3:24pm by Texan68

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone! Well thanks to everyone here with great ideas I finally attempted my first topsy turvy cake. I would like some constructive criticism on this. No matter what I do I don't seem to get that professional look with my cakes that I see from you guys here...I guess that is lack of experience. I have one issue, I didn't quite center my whole for the top tier on my bottom so when I placed the top tier on it sort of smooshed the lower side of my bottom tier and rippled my fondant a bit, but I think I hid that pretty well...what do you all think?
LL

6 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:50am
post #2 of 7

I think it looks great. Very professional job icon_smile.gif My cakes never come out looking as good as I picture them to look, but I think that happens with just about everyone. I have yet to try a topsy turvy, but when I do I hope it looks as good as yours.

ness-p Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ness-p Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:00am
post #3 of 7

how did you get your fondant soo shiny?

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 7

i think it looks fantastic... i'm not even going to think about attempting a topsy turvy. it's awesome!

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:59am
post #5 of 7

ness-p - I dreamed up this in my imagination, but when I roll my fondant out I usually have quite a bit of powdered sugar still on it because I use a lot...(I have had problems with it sticking before)...I have seen people airbrush vodka their cakes to get rid of the powdered sugar, but I don't have an airbrush...so instead I took a pastry brush and dabbed a little vanilla on it and brushed it all over the cake...gave it a good shine and clean look...Thanks!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 7

Erica This is VERY professional looking!!!! Beautiful colors and I am sure they LOVED the cake!!! Awesome job!

Happy Easter icon_smile.gif

Christi

Texan68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan68 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 7

I haven't done a topsy turvy cake YET, so I'm not one to criticize, but in my opinion, it looks great and very profressional! I can only hope that when I get to do one it's half as nice as yours!! Great Job! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%