Fondant Vs Gumpaste

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 9:17pm by Texas_Rose

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 2

icon_rolleyes.gif could someone please explain the difference between using fondant and gumpaste. Are there pro/cons of using the other to make figures? I did my first fondant figures last week and love doing it, but was just wondering if I should just use fondant or gumpaste or a mix? icon_redface.gif thanks to anyone who could give me advice.

1 reply
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 2

Gumpaste can be rolled thinner than fondant. It dries faster so you really have to keep it covered or some pieces will dry out while you're working on the others.

I like working with gumpaste because I am absolutely not tempted to eat it while I'm working with it icon_biggrin.gif The wilton mix (only one I've ever used) seems to make a smelly mixture, but maybe they all do that.

I usually paint my gumpaste flowers with grated chalk and steam them. It really adds to the realistic look.

I've heard about mixing fondant and fixodent (denture adhesive) for decorations that are not going to be eaten and that need to be harder than fondant will dry on its own, but I bought some and tried the method, and it didn't dry any harder than fondant alone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%