Southern Cooks-I Need Help!

Lounge By michellenj Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 11:09pm by indydebi

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:08am
post #1 of 15

Have any of you ever heard of this? It seems to be specific to GA, SW Georgia to be specific, and nobody from other parts of the country have ever heard of it.

I've been looking for a recipe for "Lemon Cheese Cake" for years now. For some reason, my grandmother and aunt won't give it to me, but I know it has either 9 eggs or egg yolks in it, and all of my googling has produced lemon cheesecake recipes. The cake is pound cake layers, with a lemon curd-like filling/frosting. Sooo delicious. And they won't share it with me. icon_cry.gif I keep asking, and my grandmother says she doesn't follow a recipe, but my aunt says she'll send it and doesn't. icon_confused.gif I don't know why they won't share. I've been craving it forever, and I don't think that it is exactly like lemon curd recipes.

Can any of you help me?

Thanks!

A very hungry (and frustrated) Michelle

14 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:32am
post #2 of 15

Here are some lemon cake, lemon frosting and filling and pound cake recipes:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/lemoncakes/r/blbb25.htm

Perhaps you could combine several of the recipes to make an acceptable version of your favorite cake. icon_smile.gif

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:39am
post #3 of 15

Call your aunt and make her read it up over the phone!!!!

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 15

I have a great aunt like that. She is 103 years old and refuses to share any of her cake recipes. She says we can have them when she dies!

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 15

I'm from SW Georgia... could this be it??

CAKE:
3 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
8 oz. (2 sticks) butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 teaspoon lemon flavoring
1 cup milk

FROSTING:
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 lb. confectioners' sugar
Small amount of lemon juice required for spreading (about 2 tbsp.)

Sift flour, salt and baking powder together and set aside. Cream shortening, butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Add flavoring and beat. Add portions of dry ingredients alternately with milk. Beat until completely mixed. Pour mixture into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool before frosting.

Frosting: All ingredients should be at room temperature. Cream together cream cheese and sifted confectioners' sugar. Add lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until frosting reaches spreading consistency.

michellenj Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 15

That might be the cake recipe, but it's definitely not the icing. It's like a lemon curd, but not exactly.

Where in SW GA are you, LazyDZA? I grew up in Sylvester, in Worth County.

TheDomesticDiva Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 15

Maybe you could call your aunt and tell her that you're getting ready to run out to the store, and wanted to know the directions and ingredients for making the icing real quick. Then she cant very well say she'll mail it to you, or if she does, tell her that you already waited for it that way and never got it, so you need it now, on the phone. That way she cant get out of it haha!

michellenj Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 15

I'll have to try that. I don't know why people have to be so protective of their recipes. She's an accountant for God's sake, it's not like it's the sigature dish at a restaurant she owns or anything. Sheesh!

TheDomesticDiva Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:21am
post #9 of 15

I suppose it really could be that they just dont know it... everytime I ask my mawmaw for a recipe, her response is "You know. You just do it til it's right." Or "I don't know baby, I just do it like I always have for 60 years." And if she does give me a recipe, she never really has exact measurements on most her things. It's just usually what goes in it with no amounts, or the amounts given as "Til it looks like it needs to be."

sugarshane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshane Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 10:50am
post #10 of 15

You could try looking at Paula Dean's cookbooks. She was born in SW Georgia, even though she now lives in the SE. You might even try emailing her. I hear she is very sweet and rys to answer emails.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 15

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs; separated, at room temp
2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sift before measuring
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup lemon curd, purchased
Filling
1 cup lemon curd, purchased
PREPARATION:
Cake - preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 straight sided 9"x2" round cake pans; dust generously with flour, tapping out excess. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, and salt.

Sift into another large bowl. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed 2 minutes, until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla. At low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture (about 4 flour additions and 3 buttermilk additions). Beat just until blended. In small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. With rubber spatula, gently fold egg white mixture, in thirds, into batter. Spread batter in prepared pans. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes Invert onto racks. Cool.
Make frosting. In large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter 2 minstes, until fluffy. At low speed, beat in confectioners sugar, cream, and lemon curd until smooth. Cover; chill 20 minutes, until spreadable consistency.

Using serrated knife, level tops of layers if necessary. Place 1 layer on serving plate; spread with lemon curd. Refrigerate 15 minutes to set curd. Top with remaining layer. Frost cake; refrigerate. Bring cake to room temperature for serving. Garnish with fresh berries, if desired.

michellenj Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks Jan, you are #1 at tracking stuff down, but that's not it. The whole thing is frosted with the "lemon cheese". I know that to make the "lemon cheese" that you frost it with, it takes either 9 eggs or egg yolks.

I will have to look through my Paula Deen cookbooks. I don't have them all, but maybe I'll get lucky. Paula is my cousin Susan's best friend! Susan was even in her wedding on the Food Network, and is featured as "Bubbles" in Paula's Friends and Family cookbook.

michellenj Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 15

OMG- I think that I may have found the recipe. When I got out my Paula Deen books, I found a local fundraiser cookbook put out by a group down in Moultrie, GA. There are 2 different recipes for it! I have never even looked at this cookbook, it was a gift 10 years ago. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

The only thing that sounds funny is it's baked in 5 9" rounds with 1 1/2 cups batter per pan. They bake for 20-25 minutes at 350. Seems like a long time for a small amt of batter in the pans.

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 9:36pm
post #14 of 15

well if that is not the right one you can try this one I called and got it from my aunt last night.
old fashoned lemon "cheese" cake
1 c. softened butter
1 c. sugar
6 eggs
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tbls. lemon zest
cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add eggs one at a time beating well after each one. in separate bowl mix dry ingredients together and add to wet 1/4 at a time blending after each addition , fold in lemon zest . Bake a 325 50-60 min in greased and floured 9x5x3 loaf pan do not over bake

filling
6 egg yolks
11/2 c. sugar
1c. butter
1/4c.flour
1c. lemon juice
4 tlbs.lemon zest
in the top of a double boiler ,combine egg yolks,sugar flou icon_smile.gif

hope this helps

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:09pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDZA

I suppose it really could be that they just dont know it... everytime I ask my mawmaw for a recipe, her response is "You know. You just do it til it's right." Or "I don't know baby, I just do it like I always have for 60 years." And if she does give me a recipe, she never really has exact measurements on most her things. It's just usually what goes in it with no amounts, or the amounts given as "Til it looks like it needs to be."

That's exactly how I cook. I actually FORCED myself to try to figure out measurements 'n such for my family's favorites and I put together a Family Cookbook.

Son-in-law says he's the only one who can duplicate my meatloaf because he's the only one who understands how much a "sh*tload of ketchup" is! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%