Need Idea For A Gross Cake For 9 Yo Son

Decorating By maddy1016 Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 4:44pm by MeNameJane

maddy1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1016 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 12

My son's bday party will be in 2 weeks. His theme will be gross/fear factor. I will be making the cake, I am no pro, but I've done a few cakes. I like homemade recipes better, but seem not to have the extra time. Box mixes I can work with, but sometimes that "box flavor" gets to me. My idea is having 1/2 sheet cake, will decorate using plastic bugs having a party on top (unless someone has an idea to make candy bugs) and maybe a rat on the side of the cake taking a bite out of the cake??(I've been searching for ideas online). Thinking what's the best way to make the rat...rice crispies or cake? I kinda know what I want but not sure what's the best method to use...bc, fondant...I am new at this...I have good ideas...but hesitant to try. Asking for a few suggestions!!!!

11 replies
becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 12

There are some gross cakes in the gallery that look like a box of cat litter, complete with poop!

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 12

I once saw a toilet cake with yellow piping gel in it, and some poop.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 12

you want gross???

take a look at the cakes on this site!

http://www.theyrecoming.com/

BROOKSIE007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BROOKSIE007 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 12

You could make a big black kettle from round cakes. Cover it with black buttercream or black fondant. Melt white chocolate or make a white chocolate ganache tint it green and pour on the top in a little well. (make a well on top of the cake for the gross stuff to sit in) you can make eyesballs, worms and fingers from fondant and place them in the ganache. It will look gross but taste good! icon_lol.gif

maddy1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1016 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 12

GROSSSSS! That rat cake is disgusting....but it gave me an idea. I think I can do this...no blood...just a friendly "lab" mouse. I've also considered the kitty litter cake...but is not what my son wants.

Thanks for the ideas!

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 12

if you have an account with Amazon.com you can order the GROSS OUT CAKES book.

It's chockful of ideas for gross cakes

these are some of the cakes they feature

Toenail Torte
Phlegm Brulee
Putrid Pus Pockets
Boogery Bundt
Severed Arm Cake
Squeemish Skewers
Kitty Litter Cake
Pumping Heart Tart
Cow Pie Cake
Slime Souffle
Road Kill Cheesecake
Blood Clot Cake
Alien Cupcake
Barf Bars
Never Eat Yellow Snow
Tarantula Trifle
Bird Bombed Nest
Day Old Bathwater
Earwax swabs
Bleeding Brain
Googly Eyeballs
Sludge Pile Pizza
Doggie Doo Doo Drops
Bug and Dirt cake
Flaming Ant Cake
Foul Fly ing cupcakes
Revolting Rat Cake
Graveyard Cake

So, get the idea? LOL

Some of these things are even just too gross to type!!!!!

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 12

Funny, my son is turning 9 in a few weeks, too, and he wants a science birthday. I was toying with an idea that might be right up your alley ~ what about a dissected frog cake? You could make the head and legs out of fondant/gumpaste, and make the internal organs out of fondant. Then cover the body of the frog with fondant, and make some incision slits in it, so that your son can "dissect" the frog cake!

I know, really gross, but in my head it looks really cool!

<S>

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 12

Oh Doug.. those were HORRIBLE!!! LOL
But of course I had to save it hahaha

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:54pm
post #10 of 12

The first thing I thought of was an oval cake decorated like a man's face, with a gumpaste nose pulling a Jello bogger out of it. Too much?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

BROOKSIE007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BROOKSIE007 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:14am
post #11 of 12

I agree! That rat cake is GROSS! I would vomit while making it. icon_razz.gif ha.

MeNameJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeNameJane Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 12

Wow, that website is gross! Doug, I don't even want to know how you found that!

The people who made the zombie head spent a LOT of time making that cake. The eyeballs are really cool but they didn't explain how they did the iris/pupil. It just says food coloring in melted confectioners sugar. You think they did it as an edible image? I ask because the striations on the iris looks too good to have been done by hand over and over again so consistently.

Neat website, thanks for sharing! And again, I don't want to know how you came across that!

~~Jane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%