Chocolate Cake Trouble

Decorating By 2sweetcookies Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 5:12pm by 2sweetcookies

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone make the chocolate cake from Confetti Cakes? The first time I made this cake I declared it my alltime favorite, it seems like every other time I make itthough it comes out on the dry side, this recipe calls for sour cream (which I never baked with before) and I use cake flour instead of AP, I am very carefull NOT to over mix or over bake, and I don't use low fat sour cream, any clues as to why this would happen? I love the recipe but wont use it not knowing if it will be dry.

My second best is the WBH butter chocolate, this one is fabulous but sometimes falls apart around the edges? I do use parchment. What's the deal there?

4 replies
deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 5

I can't help with the confetti cake........

But when the cake falls apart on the edges, I find that happens when I work with a cake that is not COMPLETELY cool or it is to fresh........be sure to wait at least 3 hours before trying to work with it......that helped me!!!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 5

I've made this cake multiple times and it has been hit and miss for me too. I don't know why but I think when I use the AP flour, it comes out better. I'm not sure why. Also, I started using Breakstones SC instead of Daisy and for some reason that seemed to have helped. I also started baking at 325 too. Since I made these changes I've only had one dry cake. HTH
terri

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 5

I haven't tried the confetti cake recipe yet, but the WBH chocolate is the best I've had yet. I bake early, wrap and put it in the freezer. The largest cake I've made from this recipe so far is 10 inch. Never had a problem.

If the confetti is better than WBH, I will really have to try it soon.

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 5

Well, I guess that the brand of sour cream really must make the difference, I realized there were times I was using a generic wal-mart brand, I jsut made it again using Breakstones and it came out good.
I do love the WBH , the falling apart problems comes for me when I take it out of the pan, even with parchement, that's why I switched because it was falling apart all the time, I think the sour cream in the cake makes a big difference in texture and it holds together great is works good for carving.
Thanks for ll the input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%