Thinking Of Entering The Mid Atlantic Cake Show. Who Else?

Decorating By CoutureCakeCreations Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 5:38am by marysgobaa

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 11

Just wondering how many of my CC friends will be entering the MidAtlantic Cake Show. I am sooo afraid to enter. I have only entered a small State Fair contest and I won first place, but I know that the cake show is "Big Time" and I just doubt that I am good enough.

10 replies
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 11

bump

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 11

bump again

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 11

There was a great thread where several of us "newbies" asked the same question.
The overwhelming response was GO FOR IT!

Many people assured me that it would be fun and a great experience. And that I would learn SO much from making the cake and from seeing everything at the cake show.

There are different categories so that everyone can enter the one that they feel best fits their level.

That made me feel better.

I was all set to enter myself...but then a bunch of stuff came up for work during that week leading up to it. And I am going to make a big cake with gumpaste flowers (once I learn how to make them) for my mom's birthday in June. So I might not enter now...I still can't decide.

BTW, I think your cakes are VERY pretty! And the fact that you won first place at the State Fair Competition should reassure you!

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 11

I will be entering - I love competition and can use a great cake to put in the window of my bakery!

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 11

Thats great! What division will you be entering. See I looked at your cakes and it scared me!!! You are tough competition.

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 11

We are entering in 2 divisions - I am entering the Fabric Fantasies wedding (don't think I'll place because that is the toughest - but want to give it a try - I have chosen some neat fabric) - my business partner Marcia (marccrand) will be entering semi-professional non-tiered novelty. Don't worry - you are doing great I remember seeing your cake at the State Fair (you beat my business partner!).

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 11

We just got our room today-- it's at the Boston Inn because the best western and the days inn are booked solid. You won't find it on any of the travel engines, but I found it thru mapquest!

I'm trying to decide what to do. I have a cake I want to enter in the wedding fabric section, but it needs some work between now and then, and time is not on my side at all.

We're mostly looking forward to the classes!!

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 11

Cakenicing4u - the time thing is my problem, too.

I am definitely a beginner. The cake that I was thinking of making would be like the 3rd "real" cake that I'd do (other than the shaped Wilton pans decorated with stars I started with a few years ago).

I wish I had the time!

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:19am
post #10 of 11

Well, as a professional, I have an edge, but I am very hard on myself!! I see flaws that the judges will likely see. My issues are this... Where I work we have a lower income level... so we charge the range that our area can handle-- it's not $8 a slice for sure! So we take liberties, like ordering gumpaste arrangements to use and sometimes, we use non-edibles on our cakes because it saves us time, therefore, money. So, the cake I want to enter needs a new set of flowers, a new border, and a topper. If I had time, I would redo the whole thing for I see many things I would do differently a second time. given that I don't have time for any of it, I better stick with the flowers, border and topper... LOL

marysgobaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marysgobaa Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:38am
post #11 of 11

i won't be entering, but i'll be there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%