Need Help For Dummy Cake...

Decorating By zalma Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 10:59am by leah_s

zalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zalma Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:42am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I have to make 3 tier dummy cake. I finally able to make the fondant. But how and what do I have to apply on the styrofoam before I lay over the fondant? I've read somewhere saying that shouldn't apply buttercream as it will change the color of the fondant. I have to make all white fondant on this dummy cake. And how do I keep it away from ants?Help.....

6 replies
Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:48am
post #2 of 7

I am not an expert! BUT I use piping gel. I even use it when I cover the board with fondat. It adheres like cement!

Here is an example. The lids and top of this cake are a dummy. The actual cake is on the bottom.
LL

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:57am
post #3 of 7

At the shop I work in we use a watered down version of fondant. That can get a little expensive though. I like your piping gel idea. I bet that works just great. I'm going to pass that on.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:59am
post #4 of 7

If you have a spray bottle, you spray the foam lightly with water then apply fondant, I hae done that method and seen it done that way for numerous classes, GOOD LUCK!

zalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zalma Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:35am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlis

If you have a spray bottle, you spray the foam lightly with water then apply fondant, I hae done that method and seen it done that way for numerous classes, GOOD LUCK!

Hi iamlis, I like the idea of water spray. Can it hold well in a humid weather? I'm staying in S'pore and the weather is very humid and hot.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:47am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalma

Hi all,

I have to make 3 tier dummy cake. I finally able to make the fondant. But how and what do I have to apply on the styrofoam before I lay over the fondant? I've read somewhere saying that shouldn't apply buttercream as it will change the color of the fondant. I have to make all white fondant on this dummy cake. And how do I keep it away from ants?Help.....

Ants, well good luck. I find the only way is to stand all four legs of the table into pots of water, ants can't swim and change that water daily, bc. of mosquitos (we used to live in Indonesia and had, Mega, midi and mini sized ants in black, brown and red) and here in China, not so many sizes, but just as many ants, YUCK

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:59am
post #7 of 7

If my dummy cake is truly only for display and no part of it is touching actual food, I spray it lightly with ant spray.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%