Coloring Fondant

Decorating By jlsheik Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 1:46pm by jlsheik

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 4

I have Michele Fosters Fondant in my fridge...I am thinking of using it instead of fabric ribbon at the base of wedding cake tiers. I need it to be deep red...when I added the color the fondant is very soft, do I just add powered sugar to firm it back up? Should I just scrap it and use the fabric?!!!!

3 replies
Amanda80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda80 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know if this will help you but I use the Wilton ready to roll fondent.. When I would add color it would get really soft on me.. So when it would get soft and almost sticky I would just let it set out and it would firm back up... Hope this can help you... icon_smile.gif

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 4

Jlsheik,

I had the same problem as you last week when i was colouring fondant in royal blue. It became really sticky and when I added a little bit more sugar when kneeding it started to crackle.

I hope someone can help with this question because it interests me too.

It is funny but I always feel that this problems comes about with blue and red colours. When I use pink or yellow it is OK. I suppose that that's because we are trying to reach that deep blue or that deep red....

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 4

I really did'nt get any real help with this problem from the experts....so I have put the red fondant in the fridge and I guess I will pull it out today and play with it, trial and error I guess. I think I read a post once that they get that deep color while mixing the recipe not after it is already made. But for me that is not practical I don't use that much at a time. I have to play today I really don't want to ruin the wedding cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%