Gerbera Daisies

Decorating By nefcook21 Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 2:04am by cupcakeninja

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:30am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know where I can purchase sugar gerbera daisies? Is there anyone of this site that makes and sells sugar flowers? My mil is having her 80th birthday and we want the cake to match the invitations and I can't find any.
TIA!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:50am
post #2 of 7

I just tried making some to see how easy it would be. I was using MMF but gumpaste would be better for durability, and you could steam them to get that fragile, real flower look. If you don't find some to buy, you really might try making them. I used the plastic wilton daisy cutters, cut 3 large ones and thinned them slightly, used the veiner on the thin foam pad, then stacked them with the petals turned slightly so that they don't end up on top of each other. Then I used the ball end of the veiner to flatten the center a little bit. For the orange one, I mixed red and orange fondant and cut 3 small daisies, thinned and stacked on the large ones, then used a 1/2 inch circle cutter to make a yellow-green center, pressed it into the flower with the ball tool, and then used tip 233 to imprint dots all over the center. Then I used a toothpick to ruffle the tiny petals up toward the center of the flower. The pink one was the same except that I cut a couple of medium size daisies and put them in too.

If I were using gumpaste, once they were dry I would use some chalk to add more color to the small petals, then steam them.
LL

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:13am
post #3 of 7

Those are great TxRose. I might try those myself.

Sorry but I don't know anywhere to order them.

meegz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meegz Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:32am
post #4 of 7

I came across these when I was searching for a tutorial on how to make them...
http://www.weddingfads.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=76
Not sure if that will work - I've never tried to put a link in a post.... sorry if it doesn't!

cupcakeninja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeninja Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 7

I made the ones on the bridal shower cake in my photos. They were very easy to make.

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:58am
post #6 of 7

TxRose--those are beautiful as are yours cupcakeninja, but I'm not really experienced with gumpaste and I'm running out of time so I was just looking to buy some. Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

meegz--those are perfect for what I need Thanks for the link!!

cupcakeninja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeninja Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:04am
post #7 of 7

Just so you know . . . this was my first experience with gum paste. It only took me a few hours to make all of the daisies on the cakes plus more. It was really easy. For future reference . . . I understand wanting to just buy them. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%