Need Some Help With Fondant Butterflies

Decorating By deanwithana Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm by Jenn123

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!!!! I have been asked to do butterfly cupcakes which I have never done in the past. I have read most of what is posted and everyone recommends gumpaste. I am getting ready to take a gumpaste class and won't be finished with this in time. Is it possible to make butterflies out of fondant and if so are there any recommendations on how I would do this!! I appreciate any recommendations, instructions, pictures.....anything!!!!! Thanks so much!!!!

2 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 3

Hi. Wilton makes little butterfly cutters - I think they're in the fondant section packaged with little flower cutters. Perfect size for cupcakes. You could certainly use fondant instead of gumpaste. In fact, if it's for kids I'd recommend fondant.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 3

Yes! Just get small butterfly cutters. They have them at Michaels/Hobby Lobby in the sculpty clay area. I make a triangular tube from cardboard or heavy paper covered in parchment. I roll the fondant thin, drape it over the edge of the tube and let dry. Then you can decorate with airbrush or paint with dust/food color/markers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%