Ribbons On Cake Question

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 11:55pm by miny

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 5

I am kind of following one of Thanh Thanh cakes. On a 50th anniversary cake she had some gold ribbon on it. Yesterday I was going to but some but when I looked at the ribbon it said it was materials were made mostly of metalic. Would this be harmful. It would be used in and around my buttercream flowers. I do not want to make anyone sick. I hope this makes sense.

4 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 5

There is a way to iron on wax to the ribbon which would probably prevent it from getting anything harmful on the cake.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 5

I don't use ribbons directly on my cakes because ribbons, unless fda approved for food contact, are processed with chemicals to make that ribbon look beautiful and stay beautiful and some of those chemicals include pesticides to deter moths and other cloth eating bugs. Starches are used to keep the natural fabric ribbons looking nice and crisp. As for the metallic content of some ribbons, I'm sure there are shavings during the process of making them...

If you used them in or around your flowers, I would place a barrier between it and the cake surface to prevent contact and make sure that your flowers are labeled "not for human consumption"...

I've been told by more than one that I was an extremist...I look at it as I'd rather be safe than sorry.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 5

That is what I am wondering about.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 5

To be honest I am the same way than all4cake, you never know if some of the ribbon as been around some nasty things, if want to be sure that what you are serving is safe for human consumption go ALWAYS with fondant, that's me I have to be absolutetly sure, I would not sale something I won't have for my own family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%