More Mad Hatter ???'s

Decorating By emf7701 Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 7:02pm by KHalstead

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 2

ok... so I'm thinking that i'll charge $5.00 per serving for the mad hatter cake i previously posted about.

but now, how the heck do you figure out serving sizes for each tier? the bride originally stated that it was to feed 35 people. then in her next email she said she'd like it to be more than two tiers...

so i'm thinking of doing the following:

top tier 6"-5"-4"
middle tier 8"-7"-6"
bottom tier 10"-9"-8"

how many will that feed? i know she's going to have to pay for way more cake than she needs to get the look she wants... would it be the same as if they weren't weird shaped? that would be 74 (normal tiers)....or would it be less than that (because they're carved)?

any ideas? thanks!!!!

~erica

1 reply
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 2

not sure how other people do it but I'll tell you how I figure servings for the mad hatter/topsy turvy cakes.........I go by the servings of the middle tier...and I just say that's the servings....I charge 2.50 per serv. for them, when my reg. bc cakes that are tiered are 1.75/serv. so I don't worry too much about it being "exact" I know the tiers are 3 layers instead of two but by the time you're done carving and flip flopping the top layer you've got one side that's a normal 2 layer and one side that's closer to 3 layers......I just find it much easier to go with the median measure...so for your cake I would charge whatever your servings are for a 5.7,9 inch cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%