Satin Ice - Is It Worth The Money And Where To Buy

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 9:49pm by deanwithana

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:52pm
post #31 of 50

Ah, well that's different. I misunderstood Doug to be saying that GSA was doing the threatening since they're the sponsor. I'm glad to hear it's the reverse.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:54pm
post #32 of 50

Geeez Doug, I didn't see anyone whining about it. I think they just didn't understand how this was happening and why. Heath explained it very well and now we all know. Thanks Heath!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:56pm
post #33 of 50

No, it was another company that was doing the threatening. Lots of people had not so nice, but supposedly true, things to say about their business practices and this other company took offense. They should have put their time and energy into fixing their business.

positivethinkingtina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
positivethinkingtina Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:11pm
post #34 of 50

Can satinice be colored if you buy just the white?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:13pm
post #35 of 50

Oh yes, I never buy colored, even though I think about buying colored every time I have to make a dark color like red. icon_smile.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:14pm
post #36 of 50

After making MMF for a year, I just tried Satin Ice last month. LOVE IT! I bought 20 pounds on sale and it worked out to just a few cents more per pound than what it costs to make MMF. It smells a bit weird in the tub, but once you scoop it out the smell goes away. To me it tastes good (as fondant goes), is very easy to work with, and is worth it purely for the convenience of not having to make it. It is more expensive to buy smaller containers, but it has a nice long shelf life if you wrap it properly. GL!

Bec

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:15pm
post #37 of 50

Yes you can add color to it. It does get "sticky" when you add color to it so I use gloves and let it rest a bit afterwards.

It also smells wonderful!! When I transport a cake my car smells so good!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:10am
post #38 of 50

to the poster who asked how long it lasts.... 6-12 mths if kept well sealed in the plastic and then in the bucket.

the chocolate is delicious too. dries dark, but great taste.

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:46pm
post #39 of 50

Does it need to be refrigerated, or does it keep in the bucket stored at room temperature?

Ruth

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:48pm
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthberry

Does it need to be refrigerated, or does it keep in the bucket stored at room temperature?

Ruth

in the bucket well warped in plastic w/ lid on at room temp for up to a year (the official dating on the label)

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:58pm
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthberry

Ruth

in the bucket well warped in plastic w/ lid on at room temp for up to a year (the official dating on the label)

...but how do you warp the plastic? with a torch or a hair dryer?

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

just kiddin! LOL! thank you for letting me know! I've never tried it, and I'm getting ready to order some.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:10pm
post #42 of 50

Simply put...It's worth EVERY penny!!!!! I have it in every color and it makes my life SO easy...just add a little White to make a l ighter color or add a little coloring to darken it. The RED IS FAB and so is the Black. The Brown dries dark but it is SO DARK CHOCOLATE flavored that my clients love it! Enjoy...

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:18pm
post #43 of 50

Yes, store it on your shelf in the bucket. It comes in a plastic bag inside. I recommend the red, chocolate and black too! So much easier than trying to get those dark colors!

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:24pm
post #44 of 50

Yes, it is the best. I buy it from www.intotheoven.com they have the best price and the best shipping price. I usually by two 20lbs buckets of it at a time and the shipping runs about $23.

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:28pm
post #45 of 50

I have found that if you need a really dark color it is cost effective to purchase the ready made colored Satin Ice, because to make just 2 lbs dark enough it takes about two jars of paste color which cost around $3 each.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:47pm
post #46 of 50

Just an FYI for those of us in Canada - Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga (basically Toronto) is now carrying Satin Ice. I have bought from there before with much success. She charges Canadian dollars, which is good when our dollar isn't quite as close to the US dollar as it is right now.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:38am
post #47 of 50

In case it hasn't been mentioned... I buy mine from www.decopac.com because it s$13 for a 5# bucket (typical) and their shipping is only $27!! (and when you have to ship 200# to Alaska, thats pretty awesome)

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:25am
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

Just an FYI for those of us in Canada - Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga (basically Toronto) is now carrying Satin Ice. I have bought from there before with much success. She charges Canadian dollars, which is good when our dollar isn't quite as close to the US dollar as it is right now.

I am going there for the first time tomorrow! I'd been looking for a place to buy Satin Ice here in Canada because shipping, duty and taxes are just ridiculous. I am definitely going to try the chocolate - sounds good.

Something tells me I am going to buy a lot of stuff there tomorrow, right? There is no cake decorating store here in London (other than an aisle at Michael's and an aisle at Bulk Barn).

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:44pm
post #49 of 50

Get ready to spend some money, Martha! I don't get there often, so I make it worth my while when I do.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:49pm
post #50 of 50

I am getting mine from a local wholesale supplier!!! Check with your local food supply bulk places that deliver to restaurants, etc. I googled in New Orleans and found a place here locally. After I pay for the shipping by ordering online is just about the same once they add tax.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%