How Long Will Homemade Sugar Paste Last?

Decorating By wildmum Updated 13 Mar 2008 , 10:49am by oilili

wildmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildmum Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 9:37am
post #1 of 3

If I wrap it up and seal it well how long can I keep it for?

I have 2 recipes, one has dried egg white, water, glucose syrup and icing sugar. The other is glycerine, gelatin, water, glucose syrup and icing sugar.

I plan to make them both and I have a bought one as well, and I will have a play with them at the same time to see which I prefer. Just worried after seeing in a book after making it to use within 3 days. I thought I could keep it for much lomger than that.

Also was planning on using the sugar paste to make decos for cupcakes way ahead and thought that I could store them in a airtight container and they would be fine to eat, am I wrong?

Katie

2 replies
Cmaysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cmaysa Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 9:58am
post #2 of 3

Hi there!

I make my own recipe, very similar to your second one! I keep it on the fridge in a plastic bag. It last for weeks! when its time to use it, i just put it in the microwave for a few seconds and then knead it icon_biggrin.gif

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 10:49am
post #3 of 3

Well, I've been told you can keep it up to a week.
Do you use fresh white eggs or dry (meringue powder)? I think this can affect your storage time.

Apart from wraping it up with plastic, I do also put it in an air tight container.

As for the decorations, if they are meant to be eaten I suggest you do not keep them readily made for too long because it will go hard and not very nice to bite in. However, if you ae doing things like flowers, teddy bears... people never really eat those anyway so you can make them weeks in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%