Chocolate Covered Strawberries - Help!

Decorating By ngerland Updated 9 Aug 2005 , 8:28pm by Sugar

ngerland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngerland Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 14

When I try to make chocolate covered strawberries I melt the chocolate in a double boiler and the first four or five turn out perfectly smooth but then the chocolate starts getting lumpy and I have to "force" the chocolate onto the strawberries and they look awful. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I leaving the chocolate on the stove too long? Should I make sure the strawberries are room temperature before dipping? All advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Natalie

13 replies
pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 14

sounds to me like the chocolate is being overheated...

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 14

Have your tried melting the chocolate in the microwave? I put it in there for about 30 seconds, stir and repeat until chocolate is melted. I reheat as necessary. Hope that helps!

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 14

I also melt my chocolate in the microwave and have had no problem. When it starts getting cold just reheat it. Works great.

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 14

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. When I make them the same thing happens. And I use candy melts.

vmw774180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmw774180 Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 14

You may be getting moisture or water in the chocolate!!

sls0812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sls0812 Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 14

I have never had that problem. Do you pat your strawberries with a napkin the get all of the moisture off of them?

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 14

Are you keeping the chocolate warm? It could be that you heated the chocolate too much, or that the cold strawberries are making the chocolate cold. Either that or because the strawberries are cold, they are sweating and that moisture is going into the chocolate.

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 14

icon_biggrin.gif NExt time this happens, add shortening..that would make your CHocolate smooth again...it overheated

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 14

Shortening also thins it down a bit, so don't add too much. It does give it a nice smooth consistency though!

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 14

my mom and I have made chocolate dipped goodies for years... We melt the chocolate (candy melts or bark), put it on a VERY low setting (just to keep it warm without scalding it) and continuously stir it every few dips. Also, if you are using strawberries... after you wash them, keep them at room temp. and have them dry (on both sides) on a paper towel to get rid of all the moisture before you start dipping them. I hope this helps!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 6:29pm
post #12 of 14

I just heat the chocolate up in the microwave but not until their melted. Take them out before they melt and then stir like crazy! Once I left the microwave to answer the phone and when I got back the chocolate was in there too long and when I was trying to stir it up it became lumpy.

Water on the strawberries will stop the chocolate from sticking to the strawberris. I wash then lay them out on tea cloths or absorbant cloths not just dish towels with paper towels on the cloths with a fan on them! Crazy, huh? That's because I am always last minute. icon_rolleyes.gif
Then I remove the paper towels and lay them again on the absorbant towel. Sounds like a lot of steps but it flows.

bj icon_wink.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 8:10pm
post #13 of 14

A great tip I learned from here is to use one of those mini crock pots to keep the chocolate warm. It works great! I also use a little crisco in the chocolate.

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 8:28pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

A great tip I learned from here is to use one of those mini crock pots to keep the chocolate warm. It works great! I also use a little crisco in the chocolate.

What a cute idea. Those mini crockpots are too fun. I suppose you could also use your fondue pot if you have one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%