Need Advice Pleeeeeeeeeeease!

Decorating By cakeguru Updated 5 Jan 2007 , 4:29pm by Zmama

cakeguru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeguru Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 3

Anyone have some advice on how to do properly cover a closed "book" cake? I need to do three for next week, and I think I have an idea, but do I need to put support for the top cover of the book? Meaning, do I have to wrap a piece of cardboard or cake board with fondant, or can I just lay the fondant on top the cake with a bit of overhang so the pages of the book look inset?

Help and Thnx in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Fruitloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fruitloop Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 3

I would think you should be able to just lay the fondant on top and that would work just fine. That's what I would do anyway. icon_smile.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 3

Having not done this, but after working with fondant, I think the fondant may droop a bit if it's too far over the cake. There are a couple of things I would try, one being letting the fondant sit flat to dry before putting on the top, the other being put a bit of cardboard under just the edge of the cover, maybe 1/2 inch plus width of overhang, just wrap the book with fondant then slide the cardboard under to support the overhang. After the fondant stiffens, then you could pull the cardboard out. Totally depends on how far the overhang is. I don't see you needing to wrap the cardboard in fondant, though.

Someone did a Harry Potter stacked book cake, books closed. You could PM them to ask for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%