Question About Lorann Flavorings And Fillings....help Please

Decorating By suzted7 Updated 24 Feb 2008 , 1:17am by MacsMom

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 12:47am
post #1 of 4

I just came back from a local craft store and I had hit the jackpot! They had Americolor, CK, and others. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, the LorAnn or whatever they're called...the bottles are teeny tiny. How many drops would I need to flavor my cakes or icings? I have NO clue!!!! Also, they had the fillings!! I didn't realize they were so HUGE!! Anyway, I'm a novice at this right now..I don't see myself using the entire thing in a couple of weeks. Can I use just some, tie it off or put it in some container and freeze it? Or, can I refrigerate it for quite awhile???
I appreciate ANY answers!!

3 replies
nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 1:06am
post #2 of 4

Welcome to CC. I notice we are both from NC, what parts you from. If that store is close I want to shop there too.
As for the LorAnn oils, you just need a few drops, they are pretty concentrated. If when you are done with your frosting and find it is not strong enough, add some more. I would probably start with 6-9 drops. I have not tried it yet, but want too. I have a ton of the stuff from making candy.
I don't know the answer to your other question because I do not know the product.
Mary

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 1:15am
post #3 of 4

I just bought some recently.

I started with 1/4 teaspoon for 3 cups of icing, but it seemed a little bit strong, so I did 1/8 tsp. for the next batch.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 1:17am
post #4 of 4

Lucky you!! I'm jealous.

Some LoRann oils are stronger in flavor than others. The butter and coffee flavors are pretty mild and I use more of those (actually, I won't buy the coffee anymore - it's just as easy to use real coffee), but the butter rum and praline pecan are very strong. You just have to experiment a little.

Also, it takes less in cakes to acheive flavor than in BC. I also use it in MMF.

The fillings can be refrigerated for several months - maybe a year (?).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%